Easy Blind Camo

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Easy Blind Camo

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:01 pm

A few years ago, I got mad about having to camo my blind differently every night for hunting different areas. So I bought a ten pound box of rafia grass, 300 clothes pins, and 300 small zip ties (4 inch was the smallest). The clothes pins and zip ties ran less than ten bucks at Wal-Mart. The grass was on sale at Cabela's for $20 bucks!!!
I bought Ritt clothing dye in grey and green and a few cans of spray paint for dead corn fields and beens. I then cut 10-12 inch wads of grass and zip tied them through the eye of the spring on the clothes pins.
The green and grey clothing dyes worked great and I dyed enough grass for winter wheat fields and dead old beans. The grey took longer to soak to get it dark enough. I left the green in for an hour and the grey for two hours. I hung it all to dry and then spray painted a few clusters to get some different shades.
They do sell the grasses in different colors, but it was so cheap when I bought the plain grass! Anyways, I keep the colors in different bags and camoing my blind now takes about ten minutes to clothes pin waterever color I want! then I throw a few handfulls of native stuff from the field on it. Camo-ing my blind this way lets me hunt anywhere I want to without a big hassle of tieing grasses on permanantly.... Hope this help give some ideas to anyone looking for a way to save some time during their set up!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Re: Easy Blind Camo

Postby guywithhat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:03 am

any pictures of various colors in differnt locations...
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:10 am

Here is about 12 pounds of the stuff we did on clothes pins

Top - Various darkness's of Beige.
Green/grey on top right
Then chocolate brown
Then dark brown
Grey on the bottom dyed from lightly mixed black.

Used mostly on the kayaks and no hunting setup pictures yet. I will try and remember. The grey looks great next to a downed tree in the river!!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Blackfoot down » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:05 pm

I will try to get some pictures up next week. I have to work all weekend, but will try to take a day off to hunt next week and get some pictures of the blind. The one I have now, you can't see the blind because it is camo'ed in...LOL. I am going to dye another patch of grass soon, I need some more greys and brown. My kid brother keeps "borrowing" all my grass!!! Maybe he is smoking it!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby Nick Roehl » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:13 pm

I have been using this method for a while now. It works very well for me. I have blinds set up specifically for wheat stubble, corn stubble, black fields, and snow.

Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signature.

https://www.facebook.com/FlywayMedia
Please Like It! :-)
Nick Roehl
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:44 pm

Sorry, I forgot to post a pic...
Attachments
100_3555.JPG
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby North » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:22 pm

That looks great. I'll be looking for some Raffia tomorrow. I was planning on doing something along these lines, but the clothes pins makes switching out a snap. Great idea!
North
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum