all those metal leg bands

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Re: all those metal leg bands

Postby drakedropper619 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:40 pm

BBK wrote:
Spunky wrote:Hunt in an area where they band a lot birds is the easiest way to get one. 2 out of the first 3 mallards I shot this year had bands from the lake where they were banded.

LOL thats cheating. They banded the resident flock of canadas here on the river in a park this spring, opening day a guy I know hunted 200 yards down river and shot 3 limits of banded geese as they left the park.

LOL THATS HILARIOUS!!!!! :clapping: GOTTA LOVE THEM PARK BANDS!!! HOW MANY IS A LIMIT?
drakedropper619
hunter

Postby Fowlmood dude » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:47 pm

got my first band this yr( goose) from a layoutboat have been hunting 3yrs shot probly hot 200 ducks and geese!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fowlmood dude
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:53 am

Nine years of hard hunting... I usually kill an average of 35-50 ducks and around 40-45 geese. I have only shot one banded goose. The way to get leg iron is to hunt by where they band birds on opening day or get a one in a thousand shot of luck. My band is from Manitoba on a goose banded the spring before. The bird flew about 1300 mile to end up marinated in teriyaki and served with pineapple glaze over carribean rice! I am proud to wear the band on my lanyard because it reminds me of the fact that it was the last day of goose season. I invited two guys who both slept in and said no. I froze all day covered in a white sheet, broke ice every two hours, and about ten minutes before the end of the day/season I had 15 birds land. I Arkansawed the first and took the other two in the air. The second bird in the group was banded. I had no idea since they were in the water. That is the memory every time I look at that band. I don't think I am a douche bag for wearing mine. It is my second most favored trophy of hunting. My dad's first duck call from the 50's is my most favored.
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby CLAYBREAKER22701 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:12 pm

GOT MY FIRST BAND TODAY!!!!!!!!
CLAYBREAKER22701
hunter

Location: North of Richmond - South of DC-West of 95 - East of the Mountains.

Postby Spunky » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Some of you folks that hunt for a lot of years and have never gotten any bands I feel for you. Where I hunt there are 6 lakes within 30 miles of each other and they all band birds, so it's pretty easy to get one. The last 2 that I got last week came from Ohio and Ontario. If I didn't restrict myself to one bird a day I would have more. Don't want to shoot to many local birds have to save some for next year.
Spunky
hunter

Previous

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum