Setting up downwind

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Setting up downwind

Postby txpanhandler » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:17 am

We are limited in our areas to hunt at the moment, and the field that we have is a plowed winter wheat field. It gets a lot of traffic, but they are not currently feeding on this field, it is just literally right under the highway. Obviously pulling geese off the X is difficult, but we have had some success but are really on the verge of skybusting. They are interested in the spread and come in pretty low to check it out, but about 50-60 yards out they start to rise up and just slide off and continue on their path. Ive thought about setting up downwind of the spread, and being able to take those better shots if they stay on the same path. (hiding people in a bare wheat field is an issue altogether) We have roughly 5 dozen shells with a half dozen sillosocks. I understand that if they are sliding off then there's something amiss with the spread, but I just think they don't want to be there and are merely checking it out. Thoughts?
txpanhandler
hunter

Re: Setting up downwind

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:05 pm

If you are hunting a plowed wheat field with shells I would bet they are seeing your blinds etc..... Try digging down the blinds
It is hard to hide in a wheat/plowed/bean field. Its very hard to hide with no fullbody decoys just shells!!!!!!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby tripleb » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:02 am

i_willie12 wrote:If you are hunting a plowed wheat field with shells I would bet they are seeing your blinds etc..... Try digging down the blinds
It is hard to hide in a wheat/plowed/bean field. Its very hard to hide with no fullbody decoys just shells!!!!!!!

+1

And, if that doesn't work ...... be prepared to move your blinds to where the birds will be within range as they pass over. I hunt one public marsh where the birds fly out in the morning and come back from feeding .... usually after noon, when we have to be off the water. So, often shots have to be passing shots at birds which are flying overhead, looking at the decoy spread heading to a livestock operation about 1 1/2 miles away to feed. They're unlikely to land on the water, having just gotten up off the refuge about 1/4 mile away ... but they will often take a close look at the plastic "geese" in their territory.
tripleb
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:27 am

try raking together the old stalks if there's any around [plowed or disced?] then use a shell or two to cover part of your blind ,,That's if you have no other options. Hiding in a plwed field you gotta' get low try taking some raffia to blend in with old stalks or just plain mudding your blind
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:32 pm

Get rid of the blinds if you cant dig them down. I hunt primarily winter wheat for years. I have tried the blinds and they are just to high of profile. Wear camo and get a few magnum shell and just lay under them. You will have far better luck with the hide there will be virtually no shadowing which is a big issue with blinds. You just have to sit still and not move, and cover any exposed skin (face, hands, etc.) they shine like crazy.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:14 pm

wtrfwl havoc wrote:Get rid of the blinds if you cant dig them down. I hunt primarily winter wheat for years. I have tried the blinds and they are just to high of profile. Wear camo

green Ghillie suit...there cheap in sportsmans guide
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:42 pm

Here is what I learned from years of hunting winter wheat. Geese seem to see blinds in winter wheat like a bullseye (One day I am gonna invent a winter wheat camo). Assuming you are hunting out of layouts and not a pit, get permission to throw a few hay stacks in the field in the area your most likely to get traffic. After a few day, geese will know those hay arent blinds. Switch out hay for blinds and geese will more likely come closer.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby txpanhandler » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:10 am

The fields are disced, and they are dry-land, so they aren't coming in very thick right now, which means its basically a dirt field with some green sprinkled in. I have taken burlap sheets and spread mud on them and let it dry to essentially make dirt blankets. Thinking about gluing some sprigs of wheat onto the sheets as well. The hard part is convincing people that they need to hide under a dirt blanket. They don't seem to believe that geese have a clue. We mudded our layout blinds as well, but if you think they are just too high profile then I may have to go straight sheets. Thanks for the help.
txpanhandler
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Give the burlap a go. There have been many geese killed over the years from under burlap. Better than a layout IMO on a flat field.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Gabe1Davis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:50 pm

are there any tall weeds along the side of the field? we were having trouble with the geese seeing us in our layout blinds in alfalfa fields, so we set up our blinds in the tall grass/weeds at the edge of the field and used the natural cover to really camo us out. Granted, we had to move the decs closer to the edge of the field which may make some geese uninterested.
professional redneck.
Gabe1Davis
hunter

Postby Sask hunter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:15 pm

a goose chair might work if you got one.
Sask hunter
hunter

Postby wvugunner92 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Sask hunter wrote:a goose chair might work if you got one.

I have one and sometimes pull it out instead of the layouts. It looks a little stupid (at least to me) but I have had plenty of success with it. Geese don't have size deception the same as us, so the ultra magnum goose with you hiding under it might just be your ticket with no cover to hide in. :thumbsup:
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

Postby Nick Roehl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:31 pm

You need to double your spread to draw them in. Dig down your blinds if you can.
Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signature.

https://www.facebook.com/FlywayMedia
Please Like It! :-)
Nick Roehl
hunter

Postby dduckman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:01 pm

goose chairs, or we sometimes use a shell for a head rest then lay a super mag shell over us.
dduckman
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:50 am

Sounds like your hide is the biggest issue. Id either ditch the layouts or dig em in DEEP. Any way to hunt the edges? Goose hunters get hung up on hunting in the middle of the field with our layouts, but sometimes you can get on the edges of the field and do well. Not always though...thats the dilemma. IDK what kinda numbers your dealing with down there, but maybe you need more decoys? When running traffic it seems like more the merrier. Big numbers of birds just have a big draw for passers by. Might be your answer. Keep changing it up till you find what gits r done.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum