Fact or Fiction: Dog not in blinds scare birds

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Fact or Fiction: Dog not in blinds scare birds

Postby weukolar » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:38 am

I don't have a dog blind for winter wheat fields and was wondering if having my dog is the reason for birds flaring or not. I've heard they don't at all and actually may attract birds when they are retrieving birds in fields etc., and have heard they scare birds just sitting there with no movement. What is yall's consensus on this? Because if so I'll need to buy a blind
weukolar
hunter

Re: Fact or Fiction: Dog not in blinds scare birds

Postby tripleb » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:49 am

The answers are yes, no and maybe. :wink: Sometimes birds act like any little thing out of the ordinary will spook them. Sometimes you can be walking though the decoys and they want in, regardless. I just feel, considering the effort I have to make to get up early and set up for hunting, that hiding the dog is a better way to minimize any dog related problems which might occur than ignoring them. If your dog is small enough and your blind larger enough, you might be able to put the dog behind you, under the back rest, in your own layout blind. I have a friend who does that and it seems to work fine in hiding her and keeping her safe from gunfire.

He uses a Finisher and his BLF is probably between 60 and 70 pounds.
tripleb
hunter

Postby FallBrawlTV » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:36 pm

Fiction. Geese are always looking for something out of place in your spread but a pooch typically isn't it. A dog's sitting in the open beside you while in a well concealed layout surrounded by a pile of decoys is not going to stick out significantly to make a difference. Often times having the dog beside you is to your advantage. When we have birds circle back behind us I'll watch Skeeter as he watches them behind us. He's kinda like a canine rearview mirror. His head and eyes follow those birds so we limit our movement in the blind.

The history of the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever will give you a bit of insight on how birds respond to that breed. He toller was used to attract birds to the hunter.

Your biggest issues are blind concealment and face flash. By now the geese are educated on blinds and always looking for a face flash. Your face flash can be seen from wayyyy off and your worst enemy. That and a bad caller.
FallBrawlTV
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Anything that reminds a bird of a place that shot at it can push it off, and readily apparent dogs are no exception. From a hard hunted bird's vantage, a big black dog is no less apt to shoot at him than a human face, much less the spent hulls or shiny calls so many folks worry over.

If your dog is readily apparent, I'd find a way to conceal him or teach him to work from a remote location well removed from your spread.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Guzman » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:42 am

If you are hunting the breading grounds in Alaska it probably doesn't really mater. If you are hunting an area with a lot of pressure than I will ask this to you very slowley... Does your dog look like a goose to you?

If you answered yes... I have a gun pointed at you, and if you choose wrong you will die.. Does your dog look like a goose?

Geese that are being pressured a lot of pretty darn aware that their lives are on the line.
Guzman
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum