Another request to join single, or group hunt

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Another request to join single, or group hunt

Postby hockymvp » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Have hunted with buddies on private land for four seasons. Not a single shot fired. Trying public land this year near Fort Collins. Not a shot fired. I'm slightly new to the game, but I won't **** Cheney you. I'm careful, and clean up after myself. If anyone would like to check out some spots I live by Boulder but am willing to drive nearly anywhere. I mean, I go near the Wyoming border almost every weekend. I want a bird this year for Christmas dinner. Write if you want to meet up to try a few spots, or if you are willing to let me join in your already proven hunting grounds! Shot in the dark. Thank you!
hockymvp
hunter

Re: Another request to join single, or group hunt

Postby hockymvp » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:42 pm

I would also like to catch the second split of the Duck season. Hell, any bird would suit me fine right now. No luck whatsoever.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:51 am

try posting in your state forum. its unlikely theyll see it here
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:27 pm

I forgot to post in the other room. I was going for both. I got talking in another post about being skunked. Completely forgot. Thank you!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Sent you a pm.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Im sure someone will help you out, but don't be afraid to help yourself. Go lay some rubber on the road and scout. Scouting is one of the top things any successful waterfowler needs to do in order to be successful on a CONSISTENT basis. And that may mean driving more than an hour from your residence to get in an area holding birds. Four seasons and not firing the gun is simply unacceptable. You are either not hunting very much or putting forth little effort it would seem. I dont mean to put you down, so dont take it that way, im just being very realistic about your situation.

Sounds to me like you have a severe lack of water wherever your hunting. Waterfowl need water. Id start by finding a major water source in your area and start your scouting efforts there. Doesnt matter ducks or geese, find out where theyre roosting/loafing at and where theyre going to feed at. Hunt where they wanna feed at, not where they roost. Small Lakes, Pasture Ponds, the right river situation can all hold roosting/loafing waterfowl. Any refuges in the area, another great place to look around. Get out scout these areas, and if they arent holding birds, move on until you find them. Otherwise your gonna be sitting at the same muck hole or field staring at an empty sky. Good luck to you, i know this may sound a little harsh, but it is what it is. If you wanna be successful you gotta go out and make it happen.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby weukolar » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:27 pm

x2 what he said. If a fella says he has a spot locked down with several thousand birds you can ask a group to hunt with you on it, and he will have an in for a fill in spot throughout the season. Pretty soon you will be in a regular group if you do the legwork finding birds.
To be in most groups you either find the birds and get permission throughout the season or provide all the decoys, both are equally important, but I think finding the birds and getting permission is more important.
weukolar
hunter

Postby mow and go » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:52 am

how far are you willing to travel?? Im in central/ southeast kansas. PM me if interested.
"Were like a bank all we take is Green"-Fred Zink

"If you can't run with the big dogs. then stay on the porch"-Dad

"There are world champion duck callers.. and world champion duck killers.. I am a duck killer"
mow and go
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:58 pm

No problem with the comments guys. I like it straight. I would say it's just lack of knowledge. The seasons I hunted, we did go almost every weekend. Boulder county doesn't have any spots to hunt, and that is where I live. The private spot I had was in Mead near Highway 66. The guys I went with swore that they always get geese. Every time it seemed to be the same old "Crazy luck" explanation. They were breaking me in, so I just watched them to see what to do. I thought they knew what they were doing. From what I can gather they had enough equiptment. Private spot. Should have been fine. Now that I left that group, and have wandered out I find myself second guessing everything I learned. I'm not unwilling to travel. I go to the Wellington SWA almost every weekend. Just can't get it going. I had to borrow some decoys, but I have calls now. I literally have thousands of ducks, and geese sitting in every field around me. Just can't hunt here.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby Takum » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:23 pm

A-Bomb wrote:Im sure someone will help you out, but don't be afraid to help yourself. Go lay some rubber on the road and scout. Scouting is one of the top things any successful waterfowler needs to do in order to be successful on a CONSISTENT basis. And that may mean driving more than an hour from your residence to get in an area holding birds. Four seasons and not firing the gun is simply unacceptable. You are either not hunting very much or putting forth little effort it would seem. I dont mean to put you down, so dont take it that way, im just being very realistic about your situation.

Sounds to me like you have a severe lack of water wherever your hunting. Waterfowl need water. Id start by finding a major water source in your area and start your scouting efforts there. Doesnt matter ducks or geese, find out where theyre roosting/loafing at and where theyre going to feed at. Hunt where they wanna feed at, not where they roost. Small Lakes, Pasture Ponds, the right river situation can all hold roosting/loafing waterfowl. Any refuges in the area, another great place to look around. Get out scout these areas, and if they arent holding birds, move on until you find them. Otherwise your gonna be sitting at the same muck hole or field staring at an empty sky. Good luck to you, i know this may sound a little harsh, but it is what it is. If you wanna be successful you gotta go out and make it happen.

X3 on this vary good advice to add my 2 pennies to this you need to be were the birds want to be. "location" "location" "location" if they do not want the field you are in they will not come to it. For the most part unless you are an extremely good caller and hunter. The biggest tip I ever got about Duck and Goose Hunting is to be were the birds want to be.To do this you have to do your home work and scout a lot and fined them spots! When you do it is like magic they just waffle in and it almost doesn't mater what you do. :beer:
Takum
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum