Could not get them to commit

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Could not get them to commit

Postby okdave » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Went on my first goose hunts this weekend. We were in pit blinds and had those goose decoys that are the size of a small car.
I was able to get the goose to come to the decoys, but they would not commit. One day we had some snow goose bags mixed with or big canada decoys. Should we mix them? Do the big decoys scare them away?
Tried changing the layout a couple times after birds flared off, but nothing would get them to take that final step. Any ideas?
okdave
hunter

Re: Could not get them to commit

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Canada geese are very smart it could be a number of factors... Is your pit hid well? Are the decoys shining? Did you leave them a landing hole that is large and that they dont have to fly over other decoys to get into? Are you calling in a realistic manner meaning sound quality and cadence(aka do you sound like a hunter or geese?)? If your primary target is Canada geese id get rid of those rags. IMO they look unrealistic and are shiny. Id also segregate them by species if you choose to leave them out....Also, any mojos in the field? Get em outta there if you do or shut them off when the geese are coming. They flare geese like crazy.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby okdave » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:35 pm

A-Bomb wrote:Canada geese are very smart it could be a number of factors... Is your pit hid well? Are the decoys shining? Did you leave them a landing hole that is large and that they dont have to fly over other decoys to get into? Are you calling in a realistic manner meaning sound quality and cadence(aka do you sound like a hunter or geese?)? If your primary target is Canada geese id get rid of those rags. IMO they look unrealistic and are shiny. Id also segregate them by species if you choose to leave them out....Also, any mojos in the field? Get em outta there if you do or shut them off when the geese are coming. They flare geese like crazy.

Our pit is pretty well hit, we had cammo on the metal doors and and open spots, had it covered the best we could. Decoys were not shining, except maybe the bags as you mentioned.
This was the first time I have called geese, so obviously I am no pro, but I was able to get them to turn and come in. Tried to quiet down at first once they were coming, but after a couple groups flared I tried to keep calling and got the same result.
No mojos, just a flag that we put down once they started coming.
Thanks for the reply.
okdave
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:03 am

Another question....Are they flaring or just giving you a look and then leaving? Have the geese been landing there? If not, they just may not want your field and are simply giving you a look because you have decoys and are making some noise. Not sure how many decoys your running, but if your pit isnt on the X you might have to put out a mega spread to get em locked in. Hard to say not being there. Or it coulda just been one of them days where they just dont want it..and that happens
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby luie b » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:54 am

A-Bomb wrote:Another question....Are they flaring or just giving you a look and then leaving? Have the geese been landing there? If not, they just may not want your field and are simply giving you a look because you have decoys and are making some noise. Not sure how many decoys your running, but if your pit isnt on the X you might have to put out a mega spread to get em locked in. Hard to say not being there. Or it coulda just been one of them days where they just dont want it..and that happens

Or at least from what I've learned this season try to get as close to X as possible. If only I would've known how to field hunt back in early november because I've had a lot of luck doing that.
luie b
hunter

Postby okdave » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:13 am

A-Bomb wrote:Another question....Are they flaring or just giving you a look and then leaving? Have the geese been landing there? If not, they just may not want your field and are simply giving you a look because you have decoys and are making some noise. Not sure how many decoys your running, but if your pit isnt on the X you might have to put out a mega spread to get em locked in. Hard to say not being there. Or it coulda just been one of them days where they just dont want it..and that happens

You probably hit it on the head right there. We are in a winter wheat field that borders a waterfowl refuge (Great Salt Plains in OK). There are tens of thousands of geese there. They are just giving us a pass or two. We have about 4 dozen big decoys out. We have a lot more, so next time I might try to load it up with more decoys.
okdave
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Yeah, a mega spread, good calling and a prayer is what you need when your hunting next to a refuge. They know the safe zone and are gonna head for it every time. Your likely gonna bust birds off flocks and pick away at em, not get the whole group to commit. Good luck, keep us posted.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum