Leaving Decoys out

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Leaving Decoys out

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:29 am

What has been your experience with leaving decoys out for a few days at a time.
Full bodies plastics, not stuffers.
Do you always take every one off the field?, do you leave a few out from time to time?, if you leave them out, how many?, do you change the pattern of the deeks from a hunting set up to a roosting look??
Thoughts?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Leaving Decoys out

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:50 pm

I suspect leaving them out in the sun, rain, wind, dew, frost and the like would really be hard on them.

But that won't matter if someone steals them.

Too much money to leave sitting out there.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:09 pm

With the canadians...I'm more likely to pack everything in, since it doesn't take much to put my small spread of around 60 to 70 back in the truck...Now with snow's its a different story. If I'm running a hot field and plan on using it tomorrow, I'll leave the spread set up for the next morning.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:14 pm

I leave my spread out all season long. (shells) It works just fine, all you have to do is move them around a bit when you get there before the hunt. The only problem is when it snows you have to dig out each decoy. It works great for me.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:05 pm

I wouldnt even entertain that thought around here. Theyd be gone by morning. :no:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Jeeeees, where do you guys live?
Baring theft and the concern about wear and tear on the decoys, frost etc....
I simply meant how does it effect the birds? Is it worth pulling in 200 decoys on your own land back to the pit if you know you are going to be out every day for 2,3,4 days straight??
Set them out, take them in, out-in........
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby luie b » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:54 pm

I maybe would if my field was more secluded, but it borders a highway and on the other side there is a very sketchy house filled with stealing white trash people that are notorious, and have already been busted many times already for stealing things. Frankly, I'm surprised my 5 gallon bucket I sit on in my blind hasn't been stolen yet.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:41 pm

My field is surrounded by water on 2 sides, and the other sides are the property owners house and barns. The decoys I have are already old and in no way perfect. They were my grandpas. So I don't worry about them getting weathered because they already are. But they work great and that's all that matters.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:34 am

Again, beyond the concept of wear and tear and the threat of them getting stolen,
What I want to discuss is whether or not leaving decoys out has a down side to educating birds (negatively) or having a negative influence on your hunt in that spot over time.. I'm not talking about leaving them out every day all season, I'm talking about 2 days here, 4 days there etc..
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby dc73nova » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:53 am

We leave ours out all season. They are home made silos. We Kill our birds, it doesn't seem to bother them much.
dc73nova
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:48 pm

The geese don't seem to mind. A few days isn't gunna effect the hunting. Sometimes when we show up to the blind there is already geese in our spread.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:11 pm

I dont think it hurts at all, it should help make geese become a little more comfortable. It can also be seen as tolling(sp?), but I dont see how it can. Only problem I see is if there are predators near. The more you leave it out there, those predators become more comfortable as well and may have already attacked geese that landed in your spread while you were out, making it even worse when you do hunt.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum