newbie in a wheat feild

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

newbie in a wheat feild

Postby tank200 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:55 am

i have a goverment feild i hunt thats winter wheat this year was wondering i have 3dozen decoys shells full bodies and silos would i be ok to hide my bind with the silos or try and hunt the edges of the field?
tank200
hunter

Re: newbie in a wheat feild

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:31 am

This is a debateable topic. However I hunt in the largest wheat producing state and almost strictly hunt winter wheat. I can't understand why everyone is so set on using layout blinds??? My advice to you, from years of experience, trial, and error. Do not use layout blinds. They are just to high profile no matter what you do. They cast tremdous shadows and no matter what you cant get them hid. I always just lay on the ground in army camo and set magnum shells on me. Kinda like we use to before layout blinds were even made. Sit still and wear a facemask. They will be locked up feet down in your face. That is just my experience.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Two options...What the poster above suggested or you gotta dig the blind in.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby gooshnr » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm also a big fan of laying in the spread using decoys around you or even a shell on you...no blinds. I lay flat on my back with a foam layout pad under me. Decoy bags work well for laying on too. I like to use at least 100 decoys per person and will hunt with maybe one but never more than two others as its just too many people to hide. My best luck hunting this way is solo. The trick is to find a camo pattern that best matches the field you're hunting. I have a ghillie suit that I customized and has worked well for me.
gooshnr
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum