Late season Geese

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Late season Geese

Postby dukkiller2012 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:15 pm

Hey guys,
This is the first year in Iowa I've been able to hunt this late for geese in Iowa. We've been having a real mild winter and the river ain't even froze yet. Me and my buddies have been hitting the goose hunting hard. we caught em in the field on a day when they were everywhere and did great, but now we can't get them on a pattern. they were feeding right at the end of season but now i can't seem to be in the field when they are. basically, they sit on the reserve or the river and i try to get em there, but they keep changin the habits i think. Just wanted some tips on maybe how they behave or what certain conditions do to change them from a afternoon feed to a morning for a day or something.

Thanks
dukkiller2012
hunter

Re: Late season Geese

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:52 pm

When the temp is more mild I notice the geese don't seem to follow the same pattern several times. They tend to loaf on areas during the day rather then returning to the roost. Many times they feed late and through most of the night therefor they don't feed in the mornings. Most generally though from my experience they almost always feed in the evenings (not all the time but most), they just may not in the mornings. try to find their evening field and see if they make repeated returns. There are a lot of things that factor in. When the weather is warm they don't have to bunch up to keep water open. If the ground isn't frozen they don't have to wait for the sun to come up to thaw it. It is easier to pick the grain of the ground or pull the plant out if it isn't freezing so they can feed later into the night. My advice is to just keep at it. They will slip up eventually.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum