decoy numbers?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

decoy numbers?

Postby renoduckman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Ok age old question. Larger spread of decoys or small better quality? Let me give some info. I have a spot that is a long walk with a decoy cart on a hard hunted public land. In recent years i have gone to using a spread of about 10 fullbodys, some floaters, and sometimes mixing in some sleaper shells. Has worked ok in the past. This has been an extra tough season with no real migration of new birds and only a few locals that know the drill. I have considered putting out a larger spread of decoys in this spot, just becasue maybe the geese are not used to seeing a big spread there? Im thinking the birds might be used to seeing small spreads there, because the walk is so far no one hunts with a big spread? I know the trend in recent years has been to better quality decoys. Just wondering what any ones thougts are? It is a resting spot. Thanks
A bad day hunting beats a good day at work
renoduckman
hunter

Re: decoy numbers?

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Being different definitely doesnt hurt IMO. And nothing says come here like a huge spread of decoys. I know this, if youve been running small numbers and your not getting the result you want, what do you have to lose? Gut it out once and haul em all in and hopefully it pays off. I wouldnt be surprised if it did.....Ill say this, put your best decoys where you want the birds to land.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby renoduckman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:25 pm

Thats kind of what i was thinking to try. After a great duck year the goose hunting has been very tough, and i have missed some hunting time as well. Season is running out fast here. I thought id get more replys on this post? Used bigger spreads many years ago but kind of got away from that.
renoduckman
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Larger spread defiantly helps. I hunt a field right next to a reservoir that huntig isn't permitted on. There is usually litteraly 1000s of geese on it. It's hard to compete with them so he more the better, especially from a distance. I know a guy who hunts with 42 dozen decoys.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Swamp-rat » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:20 pm

I agree try a large spread it will either work or it won't. Maybe use some super mags if you have them. Try giving them a different looking spread then there use to seeing that's what we do late season and it works.
Wack'em and stack'em boys
Swamp-rat
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:29 pm

shootable Goose wrote:Larger spread defiantly helps. I hunt a field right next to a reservoir that huntig isn't permitted on. There is usually litteraly 1000s of geese on it. It's hard to compete with them so he more the better, especially from a distance. I know a guy who hunts with 42 dozen decoys.

heck i had 60 out and couldnt turn them from some live birds on a unhuntable pond :no:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:31 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:Larger spread defiantly helps. I hunt a field right next to a reservoir that huntig isn't permitted on. There is usually litteraly 1000s of geese on it. It's hard to compete with them so he more the better, especially from a distance. I know a guy who hunts with 42 dozen decoys.

heck i had 60 out and couldnt turn them from some live birds on a unhuntable pond :no:

Ya something about real geese on the ground just makes the geese unturnable. Makes for some great pass shooting though If your a good shot :thumbsup:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby renoduckman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:43 pm

Well finally had some good luck today. Got a pair of honkers, one with a band! Because of mostly frozen ponds, and only a small open water, i only put out a spread of 15 decoys. They were my best decoys, 4 bf floater, 4 bf fullbodys, and 7 sleeper shells. Im still hopeing to try a big spread before the season runs out on me here.
But i has been the slowest goose season i have had in the 20 years i have lived in this area. Only a very few local birds and no weather at all.
renoduckman
hunter

Postby shootfirst45 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:34 pm

just used six. 1 bigfoot , 5 flocked shells flew right over low. worked good
shootfirst45
hunter

Postby seipy91 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:15 am

shootable Goose wrote:Larger spread defiantly helps. I know a guy who hunts with 42 dozen decoys.

we used a large spread like that one time and we got some nice birds for the 12 guys we had hunting at once... i no, INSANE but it was so much fun and everyone pitched in their decoys and we had about 46 1/2 dozen decoys out lol

but now with the late season and the 4 guys i hunt with we use anywhere from 55 to 140 decoys and it works fairly well when you are on the X... but when we try to traffic birds into one field that is when we break out the big blob of decoys and cover almost the entire field
1 Goose is Better Than No Goose
seipy91
hunter

Postby dduckman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:14 pm

we just hunted this past weekend with 265 coys out, we were trying to pull birds into a field where they were not really wanting to go and it really helped get the birds in there, if i am hunting where they want to be then i will use around 50 usually.

also when they are coming in the mornings in smaller groups less decoys is fine and we can usually kill out before the major flight, if we get out and there is a major flight going more decoys works much better since the birds are used to going into large bunches already feeding.

i personally do not think large numbers of decoys is ever going to work against you other than the extra set up time.
dduckman
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 am

I'd be tempted to try it with just 2 decoys..................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:37 am

2 decoys on ice is do-able..ive done it. :thumbsup: .... I try and match the number of birds im seeing in my areas as far as decoy numbers go.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby noweil » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:19 pm

Glad someone suggested 2. I used to live next to a NWR. The last week of a 90 day season everyone was running as many decoys as possible. The clubs had 1000's of decoys out. I killed 11 geese in the last week using 2 bf's in a public field, with a two bird limit.
I got the idea watching a big group of geese pitch in to a pair of birds while scouting one afternoon. Since then I have had many years of success hunting over spreads of 2, 4, 5, 7 or 11 decoys. Thats in the field and on the water often on public land in 2 different states. Birds very seldom flare from my small spreads. They usually do it and get shot with 3" number ones or BB's out of an improved cylinder choke.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum