Calling geese over water.

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Calling geese over water.

Postby erp10 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:27 am

I never hunted geese over water until this year. Do you guys change up your calling style form field to water or keep it the same. Cant say I have ever had a chance to listen to them on the water.
erp10
hunter

Re: Calling geese over water.

Postby seipy91 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:00 pm

i hunted ontelaunee for geese once and i didnt change the calling i used from the field to the water and got a few to commit but we had too many duck decoys out and they flared before we could call any shots
1 Goose is Better Than No Goose
seipy91
hunter

Postby bigearl68 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 am

we don't call very hard when hunting over water and not at all when geese are over head. Leave the duck decoys at home, or only take a few and put them off to the side away from the pocket you want the geese to land in.
bigearl68
hunter

Postby the cashman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:37 am

The calls on the water tend to be a bit softer if the geese are resting, but if they are starting to get stirred up, they can start sounding pretty excited. I like a softer, quieter call over the water, and I try to do more contentment type sounds rather than the aggressive feeding sounds that you typically hear in a field. More moans, more soft clucks, I will throw in some hiccups or double cluck sequences here or there to grab their attention, but try and keep off them as much as I can. Lot of times just keep the call in the pocket on the water too... Works more than the call companies want you to believe!!! :thumbsup:
N.O. Guide Service: D.D.F. Division Supervisor

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum