need help goose hunting

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

need help goose hunting

Postby blackjacks » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:44 pm

I hunt on about a 40 acre lake. I shoot plenty of ducks, but the only geese I get are flybys. I want to get them to start coming in. I need some help. How many decoys do you think I need? Should i get active, feeder, or rester decoys, or what combination? How should I set them up? And if theres anything else you think a rookie goose hunter needs. Thanks alot. :help:
blackjacks
hunter

Re: need help goose hunting

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Well, that depends on a lot of things.
If you want to shoot geese, put out goose dekes, and not so many ducks. Geese do not really like ducks that much, and won't fly over them to land.
As far as what kind of decoys, I'm not sure that matters all that much. As far as numbers, how big are the groups flying over you?
Match what you see!
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Alright thanks alot. Where I hunt I have an extended goose season, so I'll get ahold of some more goose decoys and not put out any ducks. Thanks.
blackjacks
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:08 pm

thanks your advice really helped alot. the first time we hunted with the ducks away from the geese a friend hunting with me shot a banded canada.
blackjacks
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:19 pm

Best duck decoys I ever use are goose floaters. The attached picture is one four pack of Big Foot Floaters. I killed 29 geese in December just over those decoys. Sometimes I put out 6 decoys. These little spreads have landed loners up to groups of about 75.
Attachments
2011-11-27 09.42.41.jpg
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 pm

thats pretty awsome that you don't need alot. i' ve tried hunting with just 4 and it didn't work at all. i went and bought some so i got 20 now and it brought em down pretty good.......and of course i shot 1 of my brand new decoys also :mad:
blackjacks
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum