Sleeper position in spread?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Sleeper position in spread?

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:58 pm

What's the ideal place to put sleeper sheels in a late season goose spread?
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Re: Sleeper position in spread?

Postby cam liden » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:18 pm

are you hunting fields, rivers, open water? In fields, I like to put the sleepers downwind of the feeders, always facing the sun or into the wind. For rivers or on a hole in ice, just bunch them together right on the edge of the water. No matter where i hunt i like to put the sleepers/resters downwind of the rest of the decoys, but off to a side of the landing zone so they dont have to fly over decoys to land. the bottom line is mimic what the birds are doing and dont hesitate to change things up
cam liden
hunter

Postby imboray » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:31 pm

one thing we do with sleeper shells when in a field with snow is put them on the edges of the hole and put a couple in the hole. when there is ice or snow on the ground one thing a goose will do is immediately lay down upon landing to melt the snow so they have a place to feed. I cant remember where i heard this, I think maybe Shawn Stahl on RNT-V, but weve done it a couple times & have never had an issue killing birds.
imboray
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:33 pm

PAwaterfowldominator wrote:What's the ideal place to put sleeper sheels in a late season goose spread?

You should update your season totals :thumbsup:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:01 pm

most of the time but not always, i put mine right on the edge of the landing zone where the birds will hopefully line up with. In my mind, this will be the last thing they focus on before we cut em, so a little confidense goes along way.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby aftershox454 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:50 pm

agree with hunt fish---- and the rest of the guys here birds will simply light and immediately take a nap over their lunch-- they wake up an hour or so later and boom feeding time--

in the field we keep em usually mixed in more toward the middle where they would be grouped up a little thicker "feeling safe in the numbers"

alot of the times on the river we only put out sleepers on the ice edges with very few "awake" birds in the spread--- they seem to like the resting geese and come right at em!
aftershox454
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum