To Stake or not Stake Shell Goose Decoys?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

To Stake or not Stake Shell Goose Decoys?

Postby luie b » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:36 pm

The only decoys I have besides 4 goose floaters is a dozen of the tanglefree goose shells. They came with stakes when I got them and I used them all with the stakes for a little bit when I first got them. Then when I hunted with a friend we had a flock of like 12 just making a bee line at the decoys and they loved our calling and everything. They got about 70 yards out and flared quickly off the decoys. We were in great cover so I know they didn't see us. Do shell goose decoys elevated with their stakes flare geese? I've seen people set up their spread with just a few with the stakes in them, but never all of them like I do. It seems to me the stakes make them more visible from a distance, so I'm contemplating bringing like 4 of them tomorrow so my spread can be seen farther. I scouted the field out and the geese landed across the road about 500 yards from where my spread was Tuesday. But tomorrow I'm planning on hunting "the trench" which will be a lot closer to where the geese were coming so at least I'll be closer to the where the geese have been flying.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Re: To Stake or not Stake Shell Goose Decoys?

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:46 am

I believe staking them gives them more visibility. Try staking just your sentries. They are the birds that tend to stick out the most anyway. On occasion I have had geese fly over my FBs and land in my staked shells 30 yards behind my spread. So I don't think staking hurts anything.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Re: To Stake or not Stake Shell Goose Decoys?

Postby CLAYBREAKER22701 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:42 am

X2 - I ONLY STAKE A FEW SENTRIES AND A FEEDER OR 2
CLAYBREAKER22701
hunter

Location: North of Richmond - South of DC-West of 95 - East of the Mountains.

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum