Speck spreads

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Speck spreads

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Im 11 and on a low budget and was wondering if anybody could tell me a good cheap speck spread
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Re: Speck spreads

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Watch the Rogers Sporting Goods Website. They have Full body Hardcore feeders right now for $85/6. But you might stretch your dollars further getting shells. Dunns sporting goods occasionally runs some good prices. Check their Ebay store as sometimes it has deals not listed on their website. Watch both for free shipping deals.

If you artistically talented you could get some Rogers or carrylite snows and give them a paint job.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:53 am

used ones are a lot cheaper than new ones
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Are you in Arkansas, AR'? If so, and ya come through my way, I'll give ya a couple ta get ya started.
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:00 pm

Sometimes the best speck spread is none at all. Learn to run a call reasonably well and hide well in places where it's difficult for the birds to see that there aren't birds on the ground, like a stubble or rough plowed field, and many will come closer hunting the call's source than they might with decoys showing. Fwiw, I have the best speck fullbodies money can buy, DSDs (as well as Dakota, Hardcore and GHG FBs and a couple hundred G&H shells), but now that our birds are badly picked over and wary as can be at season's end, I've been hunting stubbles without any decoys and places where the birds could see there's nothing there with precious few decoys to make it harder for them to discern they're fakes.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum