Pond-jumping geese and "sneaking" up on them

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Pond-jumping geese and "sneaking" up on them

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:34 am

I wonder if anyone else will admit that they jump geese off of borrow pits. I wonder if anyone else will admit crawling across plowed fields or wading down drainage ditches to get a quick shot off at a flock of geese or ducks when they take off.

I keep my old crappy waders for crawling across muddy fields and also keep an old gun case with a rope so I can crawl and drag my trusty old Remington 870 along behind me. Been a long time since I did any of this stuff but I wonder if anyone else has done this kinda thing.

You have to be patient and sneaky but the shots you can get are worth the pains.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Re: Pond-jumping geese and "sneaking" up on them

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:49 pm

I can't say I have done sneak attacks extreme as that, however, I also have never had the opportunity. :wink: Sneaking and jump shooting can be a lot of fun though.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby garret schukis » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:36 pm

About 12 this year for cacklers and once for mallards.
2011-2012
114 ducks
68 geese
3 bands
1 collar
garret schukis
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:52 am

Times have really changed since I was a young man. It used to be no big deal to just hunt where-ever I ended up. Today everybody is hunting. Leasing everything. No hunting signs used to be an endangered species around here.

Signs, signs...everywhere there's signs.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby TomKat » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:57 am

I love a good jump shoot. Its like christmas to see what is left behind....gkr calls them '"surprise ducks"
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:35 am

nothing wrong with a good sneak now and then.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:28 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. As long as you're doing it the right way. I can't stand idiots that do it at first light and blow them off the roost.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 am

It's very fun. As soon as the first birds start flying depending on how close I am I usually take two or three big steps to get
Closer. Then just start blasting
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby barryboy08 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:48 pm

As far as i see it flushing ducks and geese is just as if not more difficult then pheasants and chuckers, at least the farm raised birds on shooting preserves. Haha. but a good jump shoot once in awhile can be some of the best relife of the mid season blues after a dry streak. Plus the one farm i started hunting will only allow us to jump shoot the birds, so ill do what i have to. :yes:
Happy Hunting!
barryboy08
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Not really a fan of that type of a hunt as id rather let those birds be and keep them in the area and shoot them when they head out to feed in fields....If your gonna do it id suggest getting in as soon as the birds leave in the morning and set up. Shoot your birds when they come back and get out before they all come back so you dont blow the roost. Should take a minimal spread to accomplish this. All in all its a risk of busting them outta there, and one i dont really look to unless its the end of season.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:22 pm

Guilty! One farmer will only let me jump shoot. He has cows and I have to ask every time. His pond is 1/2 mile from the golf course. The geese fly straight from the golf course to his pond and scare off his cows!!! It isn't as fun as calling them in, but they taste the same!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby #1jumpshooter » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:40 pm

oh boy! oh boy! finally a thread that fits me perfect i am guilty of this constantly...I love jump shooting wood ducks off creeks and small ponds... and nothing like watching a group of 100 geese all start talkin faster and faster because they caught you moving plus its always funny to watch geese try and get up in a hurry
#1jumpshooter
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:04 am

#1jumpshooter wrote:oh boy! oh boy! finally a thread that fits me perfect i am guilty of this constantly...I love jump shooting wood ducks off creeks and small ponds... and nothing like watching a group of 100 geese all start talkin faster and faster because they caught you moving plus its always funny to watch geese try and get up in a hurry

Look at my signature
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby #1jumpshooter » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 am

shootable Goose wrote:
#1jumpshooter wrote:oh boy! oh boy! finally a thread that fits me perfect i am guilty of this constantly...I love jump shooting wood ducks off creeks and small ponds... and nothing like watching a group of 100 geese all start talkin faster and faster because they caught you moving plus its always funny to watch geese try and get up in a hurry

Look at my signature

haha that is awesome man i haven't laughed like that in a while i never thought of it that way but in that sense i love dodge-ball as well
#1jumpshooter
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum