Duck Hunting Forum banner

Decoy Help Needed!!!!!!!!!!

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  goodkarmarising 
#1 ·
What decoy do you guys beleive has the best bang for your buck or what kind do you use/like?

Thanks,
Cowboy

#2 ·
I use a mixture of home-made 3D silo's, some old fb herter's, some final approach lessers, and some supermag shells I don't remember the brand. Get what's a good deal and don't worry bout it. Stick to flagging and calling for your best results and always find the x

#3 ·
I have Full Body, Shells and Silly 'ets.
Unless you can find Full Bodies on sale they can be pricey.
Shells would be your best bet per Dozen. There are some cheaper Silly's out there.
If money really isn't a factor or you can split with a hunting buddy, go with better decoys on the Market.

#5 ·
I love my ghg FFD and pro series fullbodies. Really durable and realistic looking decoys, but a bit pricey if bought used. If money is a issue or your looking for a late season spread more so when you have rain flooding or frozen ponds id look into the same decoys in shells tho. I have seen some killer spreads with the FFD shells. Heres a pic of a few of the fullbodies i have.

Attachments

#7 ·
A-Bomb said:
IMO, Big Foots. They arent cheap, but they have the durability to last a lifetime.
Actually they are priced better than most full bodys, on rogers they retail around $110.00 a four pack. But unlike GHG (which I finally got fed up with), Big Foots will as stated last a life time! I am just starting to put together a field spread and it will be Big Foots and Big Al's silos. Plus BF's are made in my home state of Iowa!

#8 ·
My Full Bodies are Big Foots to. They are priced reasonable compared to some. I usually pick them when they are on sale.
I bought a few here and there over the last few years. I have like 4 doz., and rest are in shells and silly 'ets.
I have around 12doz. total.

#11 ·
IowaWaterfowler10 said:
FowlMouth19 said:
but I've found them at stores after the season for as little as $60 a dozen.
Where do you find them by the dozen? :huh:
He was saying the GHG shells. They always come in dozens :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Go with big foots you got to come out the pocket but you will never have to buy another decoy ever again. check out craigslist there are usually decoys on there you could get for a good price. but def big foots are the only way to fly and mix in some shells you are good to go

#14 ·
I tend to use a mix of different stuff depending on the season and situation. Early season i try to use just Silos and maybe a few shells but running traffic in the regular season I throw out everything silos, fbs, shells the whole works. Rogers Sporting Goods usually has great deals online I suggest getting a mix that fits your situations and is within your budget. As far as brands I have used GHG,Bigfoot, Hardcore, and Real Geese and havent had a problem with any of them. Whatever you choose good luck and good hunting.

#17 ·
we have a mix of dekes, from GHG oversized shells with flocked heads( affordable) to some big foots, although now we are exclusively buying what i believe is the best deke on the market, the ZINK Avain X !!! These are the painted version with full flock heads, it dosent get any more realistic than these! SUPER EXPENSIVE!!!!! but........ wait till season end and go scoop them up for the price you would be buyng your big foots regurally for! you wont be sorry! I believe buying decoys is kinda like buying calls, when i first started buying calls, id pay $40-$70 bucks for a call and think it was a great call, however .......I found spending $150-$200 on ONE good call and practicing with it will be $$ well spent. Same for DEKES, buy the quality deekes and take care of them, and youll be happier in the long run. good luck!

#18 ·
We run a mixture of Hardcore full bodies and GHG FFD shells. Picked up the FFD shells for $120/doz in Nov last year. The shells sit around the kill hole and the full bodies are filler. The FFDs look great but you need to take care of them. We individually bag them with nylon laundry bags. Just make sure you get big enough bags that you can still stack them. If we get more full bodies they will be the Big Foots. I am not much of a GHG fan anymore but I will be buying more FFD shells from them if I can find them on sale again late in the season. Most shells are pretty economical and don't take up much space. Besides GHG I would look into the Hidgon wobblers and G&H weathervanes for quality shells. If you have good shells or silos and are hid well and can call reasonably well you will kill a lot of birds. Full bodies are nice but not always necessary.

#19 ·
nhhonker said:
we are exclusively buying what i believe is the best deke on the market, the ZINK Avain X !!!
That is the first good thing I have read about the Avian X in about 6 months. Had pretty poor reviews last fall especially considering all the hype. They do look incredibly realistic but they had paint issues. Hopefully they get that figured out because they do look good.

They search feature is your friend when it comes to researching what products to buy.

#20 ·
nhhonker said:
we have a mix of dekes, from GHG oversized shells with flocked heads( affordable) to some big foots, although now we are exclusively buying what i believe is the best deke on the market, the ZINK Avain X !!! These are the painted version with full flock heads, it dosent get any more realistic than these! SUPER EXPENSIVE!!!!! but........ wait till season end and go scoop them up for the price you would be buyng your big foots regurally for! you wont be sorry! I believe buying decoys is kinda like buying calls, when i first started buying calls, id pay $40-$70 bucks for a call and think it was a great call, however .......I found spending $150-$200 on ONE good call and practicing with it will be $$ well spent. Same for DEKES, buy the quality deekes and take care of them, and youll be happier in the long run. good luck!
If you're not where the birds want to be, then the best decoys and calls in the world isn't going to help you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.