Motion?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Motion?

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:11 pm

So I have been building a spread from scratch this off season. I have 4 dozen new bigfoots. Im thinking about adding 3 dozen ghg oversize shells and maybe a dozen ghg fulldodies for motion. as far as motion in my spread could get away with just shells (on stakes) for motion if so out of 7 dozen decoys how many should be motion decoys. If you were in my shoes what would you do/add to my existing spread?

Thanks guys
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: Motion?

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:24 am

I see you hunt snows A LOT MORE than honkers. Snow goose hunters NEED motion in their spreads. Canada goose hunters?...not so much. My advice? Add more bigfoots. Motion is over rated imo. A realistic setup with a good hide in the right location is much more important than motion. If you have a flag, you have some motion to an extent anyways. Besides, three different decoys makes for three different stakes/bases and three times as much time to set up in the wee hours of the morning. The only problem I have with shells (and I ran as many as 9 dozen for YEARS) is that they can have a tendency to spin on their stakes and end up facing in directions you don't want them to face in any real wind. Just go with the BF's and call it a day. About the only other thing I would say is get some silhouettes and intersperse them into the spread. It will give the illusion of movement without having to deal with all the different satkes and motion bases...
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:52 am

You'll be fine with stakes on your shells. A little added movement can/will look natural but not really needed to finish the geese :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:16 am

Add them if you want, but i think motion for canada geeese is over rated. Shot way too many over motionless big foots.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:59 pm

I would get some full body hard core lessers with motion stakes. A little wind makes them Move a bit and it looks really realistic. But as mentioned above, motion isn't necessary for Canadas.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:48 pm

While some say that motion is not key, I know more days than not when the wind isnt blowing that we have trouble finishing geese over our set of FFD's but once a little breeze picks up and the deeks start moving it is lights out game over. It is #3 on my list of must haves and must dos of goose hunting, more important than calling most days.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 28
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Get 2 flags to add to the spread too.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:02 am

I think the reason they decoy better on windy days is they wanna get down outta the wind. So, they generally come out lower, line up better and finish better. On those calm days they seem to be higher, cirlce more and scrutinze your spread more. I dont think its the motion in the decoys but the wind thats making the difference there. JMO of course and we are all entitled to have them. If motion decoys give you confidence, then thats what you need to use. Tear em bro. :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:37 am

If you read what I posted you will realize what you posted doesn't pertain to. I know about the big wind making the birds want to get down. By little breeze I mean just enough to move the decoys. Bigfoots give the wrong kind of motion in big.wind when they are blowing over.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 28
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:59 pm

Ok so say I have 5 dozen bigfoots would a few dozen shells give enough motion
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:52 pm

Yea it will be better than stiff ol foots but in big wind they will spin while your foots fall over.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 28
duckdozer
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Not too worried,about the goots falling over im gonna use wire hangers to secure the base down
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:15 pm

push the shells down far on the stakes to keep them from spinning but giving you motion with the wind as well
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 28
duckdozer
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:19 pm

I guess ill understand that when I see the stakes that come with the shells. Im only familiar with the ghg fullbody motions stakes
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:42 am

is overrated.Not necessary to concistintly (?) kill geese. I have 4 doz GHG O/S shells and havent used the stakes in 2 years. Its not a bad idea, but if your dead set on adding motion then yea, shells will be your most reasonable bet. BTW.. i love my shells and recomend them highly.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:32 am

It's the great debate... I would take 2 flags over 4 dozen shells just about any day though... Another possible thought is the flapper finisher goose. We used 1 last year and it was great for straightening the birds up as they were approaching
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:12 am

i want one of them in the worst way but 100 bucks for a deek is alot. Think ill buck up and do it this year.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:56 am

Look up movin head goose decoys... www.movingoosedecoys.com

I have three heads that I put on some Bass Pro Redhead decoys and most of the time, the geese will land close to them no matter where they are in the spread. They add a level of realism that I was shocked to see. Plus, they are pretty quiet. Buy the sentry heads. They are great! I also run one feeder head, but I would rather have bought another sentry....
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:57 am

Blackfoot down wrote:Look up movin head goose decoys... www.movingoosedecoys.com

I have three heads that I put on some Bass Pro Redhead decoys and most of the time, the geese will land close to them no matter where they are in the spread. They add a level of realism that I was shocked to see. Plus, they are pretty quiet. Buy the sentry heads. They are great! I also run one feeder head, but I would rather have bought another sentry....

Boy I WISH we could use battery powered decoys in PA. So behind the times as far as decoys go and I haven't met a wind poweered MOJO that work in less than 30 mph winds. I have a friend that had the moving heads on his GHG FFDs and to be honestand he agreed, I don't think a little head turning this way and that is really going to make that much of a difference in your blocks. Marketing ploy to grab hunters' money imo. He sold all his with his large spread of GHGs and went to a smaller spread of DSDs and still kills the heck out of birds and he almost NEVER gets the chance to hunt the 'X'.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Many, many years ago I built my own decoys for geese, and hunted them here in E. Idaho exclusively until I stopped hunting geese with shell decoys a few years ago.
During that time I also built my own jerk string motion Canada decoy out of closed cell foam and pipe insulation.
My home-made shells absolutely cannot compete with the products from the stores anymore (Tho many hundreds fell to them in years gone by), but if I still had my motion decoy, it would be a player to this day.
It was destroyed when boxes fell on it three years ago, but I do have the materials to build more.

Here is a picture from about 6 years ago. My hunting partner is wearing all black in this photo, tho I had changed out of mine, that's how we camo-ed in those decoys for years.

As you can see, the head of the decoy is pipe insulation, body is foam.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby noweil » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Years ago I hunted over 4 northwinds hovering wind socks mixed in with my decoys. Thay made me believer in motion. They would finish ducks and geese with no one calling. Killed a bunch of birds with them before they finally fell apart.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:08 am

I think to often we get sucked in to what we see on the ground and think looks good, we forget to think about how the geese see it. The geese are flying anywhere between 15-30 miles an hour, do you really think they can tell if that decoy is slightly moving? Best way I can describe it is if you ever go hang gliding, when your in the air you cannot tell what's movin and what's not except for things that move rapidly such as cars, you can't even tell if a person is walking much less if he is standing still swaying his shoulders. And yes I understand this is dramatized and geese have better eyes then we do but you get the point. Fast moving things are much more likely to catch our eye which is why I choose flags over decoy movement. And why mojos are effective as well. Just my 2 cents.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby bobalong » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:14 pm

I bought these probably 20 years ago, they were the first motion decoys on the market, that I knew of anyway. They have worked well, but I have picked up some shells with motion bases this year so probably won't use them as much any more.
They are very light and portable, I can get 2 dozen in a medium size gym bag.
bobalong
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:10 am

I have to respectfully disagree with the comments that it is hard to detect slight movement from the air. I am in an aviation battalion in the Missouri National Guard and fly in Blackhawks a lot. From the air, movement is so much easier to pick out. Yes big movement really shows, but as the birds draw in, slight movement does too. Have you ever had birds flare because someone moved in their blind? Imagine a goose 20 feet above the ground and it sees a "goose" move its head during the last 20 yards. Instead of flaring, it lands them. If motion was not so obvious from the air, why do snow goose hunters rely so heavily on wind socks for movement. Yes, putting out a thousand full bodies suck versus rags, but even the pros use wind socks/rags... If you have the cash for adding a little movement to make your spread more lifelike, why not? I have had awesome success with the movin heads... If they still made the bobble head feeders, I would buy them without hesitation, but I can't find anyone selling them...
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:34 am

I am getting new into the field goose Hunting. I have seen some videos of guys that use the goose hand flags. Do those work well? I have about a dozen big feet and and 3 dozen shells mixed in on some
Stakes. I am just couries if I should pick one up for my next hunt. They are only like 30 bucks.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Next

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum