Floaters for field deeks?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Floaters for field deeks?

Postby KGChunter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:20 pm

Let me start by saying that if I could afford all full bodies I would have them, but Im poor. I have purchased 12 shells and 6 full bodies to field hunt. I also have 4 GHG floaters I throw out on the lake occasionally. Has anyone set their floaters out in the field like a shell or even made a steak that the keel slid into to hold it up off the ground? Would this be more harm than good due to the shape of the floater body being different than a standing goose? or should I use all the deeks I have floaters shells FBs and all?
KGChunter
hunter

Re: Floaters for field deeks?

Postby RugerandMe » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Personally, for the last 5 or 6 years I have used 2 dozen shells and a half dozen floaters in the field. I have wedged the floaters between corn stalks so they stand up straight and then just throw the shells on the ground as mine are not set up for stakes. Cheap, easy, quick to set up, and we have had many a goose try to land in them over the last few years. I just bought a half dozen full bodies to add this year though. NO PROBLEM with shells IMO
RugerandMe
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:18 pm

I was a water hunter and had lots of floater geese. I started to hunt land and all i had was floaters yes it work. Hunt with what you got until you can buy field decoys. :wink:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Give these guys a look. I saw them at the Ohio Waterfowlers Bootcamp this past July and they really seem to work and they were selling a bunch of them at their booth! Mack's has them now and from what I saw of them at the show they should be a good thing for guys that only have floaters.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-DCVR874
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby RugerandMe » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:58 am

dsm16428 wrote:Give these guys a look. I saw them at the Ohio Waterfowlers Bootcamp this past July and they really seem to work and they were selling a bunch of them at their booth! Mack's has them now and from what I saw of them at the show they should be a good thing for guys that only have floaters.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-DCVR874

Those are awesome! Might have to get a set of those........... :thumbsup:
RugerandMe
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:26 am

If the keels come off, just pull them and set them out! Look at real geese relaxed in a field and you will see some laying down and relaxing... They are no different than using shells if you can pull the keels. Otherwise, shove some dirt around them to keep them straight, just don't let them tip or lean to one side!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:30 pm

tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum