goose pond?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

goose pond?

Postby ducking&diving » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:33 pm

hey, i hunt ducks alot more than geese. but this year i have access to a pond that has around 75 resident birds sitting on it. i watched them today and they sat there from sun up to around 10 am and the only thing that made any leave was a thunderstorm got em stirred up. what would be my best bet to get these birds? im afraid if i roll into the pond before daybreak to put a few floaters out i may run em out for the day and mess up my hunt. i would set up where they could be going, but i only have access to the pond. should i try to set up decoys or just slip a canoe in and paddle up and jump shoot em.... its a big pond. any help? i want to maximize on it if possible. cause once i go to blasting they may not sit on that pond any more....
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Re: goose pond?

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:45 pm

ducking&diving,
I caution you on busting them from that pond. It is obviously a roost site. Have you tried following them when they leave to see where they are going to feed? If you follow them, maybe you could get permission to hunt them there all season. If you bust them off the pond, they will simply leave your area. If you absolutely have to shoot them on the pond...they are probably sleeping there over night. I would set up in the afternoon and wait until they return from their feeding. No need for many decoys since they are already coming to that pond. I wouldn't use more than three floaters right in front of me...
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:50 pm

yea i am pretty isolated to that pond. thanks for the info.
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:34 pm

How early do they get to the pond? Maybe you could try to get there and set up before they get there. I would jump shoot them. Blast a few, then hopefully they circle around and you can shoot them again. I personally think that if you shoot at birds in a roost, I don't believe that they will just scratch that roost off the list and never return. I think they circle around and if they see more birds on the water, (decoys) they will return.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby USMC03-07 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:50 am

Blackfoot down wrote:ducking&diving,
I caution you on busting them from that pond. It is obviously a roost site. Have you tried following them when they leave to see where they are going to feed? If you follow them, maybe you could get permission to hunt them there all season. If you bust them off the pond, they will simply leave your area. If you absolutely have to shoot them on the pond...they are probably sleeping there over night. I would set up in the afternoon and wait until they return from their feeding. No need for many decoys since they are already coming to that pond. I wouldn't use more than three floaters right in front of me...

I agree with above. Jump shoot them and they will not come back, ducks maybe you could get a second volley but not geese. They have to eat somewhere. Wait it out, find out when they leave and be ready to setup with minimal decoys and DO NOT CALL. If the pond is small enough kill effectively birds regardless where they land I would refrain from using any decoys. Make sure you hide really well and don't move until your ready to make your shot. If they have been roosting there safely they will need zero coaxing to come home. However, sometimes in warmer weather, i.e. early season, they will feed late and not return until way past shooting time. Hope I could help and good luck!
USMC03-07
hunter

Postby renegadeduck » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:07 am

try a evening hunt alot of times the 75 may be numerous groups of 6 to 10 which is better. you can set up there in the afternnon get ur limit and quickly bail out before you scare the other birds out. thats my strategy every resident season usually the residents are so stubburn u can shots at the same flocks day after day. they will be more weary but if they love that spot that much it can work.
renegadeduck
hunter

Postby noweil » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:02 pm

I have been shooting a roost area since 2001 and have not burned it out. I wait till the birds leave each day to go out and feed. I don't blast them off. Then I set out 4-6 floaters and get some birds that are in the area that will decoy. If I hunt it in the evening I throw 4 decoys and kill 2 geese as quick as possible out of the first group to return and I leave. All the other geese come in and roost.

During deer season a few years ago someone went in and shot the birds off the pond. We found the empty shells. We never killed another goose that year on that spot. We can milk it from September-January for about 100 geese a year. Yet one day of blasting the roost can cook it for the rest of season. A little self control can buy you a season of hunting instead of a couple hunts.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks for the help. its not really a small pond. they have just been hanging out in a certain corner of that pond. either way i like the chase. i dont wanna run em out for good.
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Thax » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:49 pm

You most likely won't get there before they do in the AM. I'd try em when they leave,and I've seen lots of geese turn back for another go around. Could turn into a nice Honey Hole for you.
Thax
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:06 pm

alright so opening day has come and gone. i had some business to attend to in the a.m. and got to hunt the afternoon. i set out in this very large shallow pond with 2 doz floaters and set up about 50 yards away from the spot that i had seen these birds sittin as not to completely blast the incomers on the roost. got set up around 530 pm and had a closing time of around 735. so birds start honkin their way in arond 645. their flight path and destination had changed a bit instead of them fly and stop where i had seen em they flew about 150 yards away from me and flew out to the middle of the pond to land. they were not spotting me. flock sizes were from 5 to 85. once a couple large flocks got out in the middle all the small groups went to them instead of my spread. i guess its hard to compete with live birds. we did manage to take three. i got a single that did decoy and a group of five locked up and got too close so me and my girlfriend each got one out of that group. so it wasnt a skunk but i was kinda hoping to pull some more birds. any input folks?
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:24 am

next time if, the birds want to land away from your spread, your gonna have to scare em up. Wait for the next flock to come in and make adjustments if necessary.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Give us few more clues about how you set your spread, direction and speed of the wind, what kind of calling did you do, sunny or cloudy? What size flocks returned? There are a lot of factors that can help us try to give some more advise on things to try!!! At least you got to bust a few already. We have another month to wait for the early season on our locals!!!!!!!!!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum