A question for you goose guys.

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

A question for you goose guys.

Postby hydrilla » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm have killed some geese over the years while duck hunting, but I can honestly count on one hand the number up time I have specifically set out to kill a goose. Well, I have a 15 year old cousin who want to hunt some during the early season, so we are going to give it a shot. I've found a spot that is holding 50-75 on a nearby lake. The water in the lake is down some (like most lakes this year) and they are feeding on the new grass sprinting up in the mud flat. The area is probably 75 yards from the water, and there is nothing between the grass and water but mud. Based on experience there it isn't too soft, but it will be a little slick. In my little bit of experience with geese, they seem to prefer landing on the water when available, and then walk out onto the ground to feed. With there being quite some distance between the grass and water, would you expect them to land directing at the grass or land in the water and mud bog across the the grass. They ave been there every time I've looked, so I can go look for tracks without spooking them. I also haven't been able to get there in the morning to watch them come in, which I hope to do. Anyway, what would be your guess. Set up on the water, or set up directly on the grassy area in which they are feeding?
hydrilla
hunter

Re: A question for you goose guys.

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:28 pm

sounds like your between a rock and hard place. If you could set up on the water right nest to where theyve been feeding then that would probably be ideal. It sounds like concealment is gonna be the deciding factor in the success of the hunt.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby renegadeduck » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:59 am

Huntfish12 wrote:. It sounds like concealment is gonna be the deciding factor in the success of the hunt.

x2 in my experience i hunt a similar spot in whch a back cove where the birds sit by the hundreds is very tidal. when there is little water and the mud flat is exposed they seem to land right next to the mudd flatt but in the water. i would try settingup in the water if you can find something to hide in. if they want in and can see you guys hunting the will probably land 50yrds out of range and continue to do so.

if you have the ability to hide in both the land n water hunt the water. mayeb through a couple fullbodies on the transition from land to water
renegadeduck
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:22 am

I have had a few times trying to hunt just like what you described. My suggestion is to take a shovel, a old army wool blanket or a poncho, and dig in next to the water. Geese prefer to land in water and then swim to the shore. I would cover my blaket or a poncho with the mud and set full bodies behind me. The geese always landed in the water and then I would "Arkansas" them when they got close enough. The hide is the most important factor in making or breaking this style of hunting!

PS-You will get soaked and muddy as heck!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 am

We do something very simimalr on sandbars here as what Blackfoot said. We dig in and lay on tarps. Some of the time we will place a small cedar on the bar and lay next to it. Whatever you have to do to break your shape is really all you need. Sounds like even a well mudded layout blind would work if you mud it good and dig it in a little.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:31 am

What if you put your spread about 15 yards off the water....and throw some duck/goose floaters 15 yards in the water....maybe this would entice them to land on the shore? Im in this situation also and thought maybe this would be worth a try.
sooner737
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum