early goose over water

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

early goose over water

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:10 am

I have a state blind that is holding 200-300 resident geese i plan on hunting it opening morning. The geese are flying in flocks of 6-20 almost right over my blind Heading to some small sediment ponds where they flocking up to over 100 on each pond. Im hoping to sucker a few in. How many floaters should i use? I have three dozen. But i know everyone says less numbers early season but does a dozen really have enough pulling power?
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: early goose over water

Postby CutEm214 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:24 am

This is just a shot from the cheap seats, but I would try to put out a spread with numbers that rival what you are seeing on those sediment ponds. If you have 3 dzn, I'd throw em all out...and maybe pick up some more. Watch how those birds act/congregate on the ponds where they want to be and set your decoys out in a similar pattern.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 am

I see em every morning on the ponds half of them are in the water and half feeding on the grass around the pond.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby renegadeduck » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 am

as stubburn as resident geese are better put out all of them. they have there mine set on where they want to go so gonna need something convincing enough to get them to break there pattern
renegadeduck
hunter

Postby renegadeduck » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:08 am

to add to my post if you are where they want to be a dozen decoys is really all you need
renegadeduck
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:15 am

I see them swimming in front of my blind but like typical lazy residents they swim to it.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby renegadeduck » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:18 am

ya id just put out like 12-14 spread em outlooks big but there isnt alot of decoys. that what always works for me i woodnt do any specific pattern just set them up as natural as possible
renegadeduck
hunter

Postby Boatman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:34 pm

You have your answer in your question. Family groups of 6-10. If you want to put out pulling power put out several family groups around your blind with a big hole right in front of the blind.Or string them out to look like several family groups. One thing for sure,don't sneak in early morning and shoot them off the roost or they will not come back. I know guys that only use 2-3 decoys for early season and kill geese!
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby alex is a DUCK hunter » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:06 am

throw out every goose floater you own and make it look real with family groups and aggressive calling. we've done it for years and smashed em
alex is a DUCK hunter
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:42 pm

alex is a DUCK hunter wrote:throw out every goose floater you own and make it look real with family groups and aggressive calling. we've done it for years and smashed em

What he said family groups
mojo coot
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:42 pm

Could the same be said for running traffic on water? Lots of decoys? I've never been successful in this scenario.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby alex is a DUCK hunter » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:26 pm

it really gets interesting when you have ice and can put full bodies, shells, and floaters out. you just gotta make it look real and sound good enough to kill em. huntin geese over water is challenging.

But with my experiences we have always done really well with alot of floaters out for running traffic, aggressive calling and flagging. you gotta put your hours in.
alex is a DUCK hunter
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:40 pm

Yea im just gonna put out all three dozen in family groups and see what happens
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:25 pm

I'd put out a couple doz,in small groups...... This full moon my change thefeeding/ flight times, they ma ybe sitting on the ponds when you get there.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Im hoping they arent but i drive by those ponds on the way to my boat so ill know before i get out there. Just trying to make something out of nothing. Sure beats work
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:22 am

go big or go home, your hunting birds that know the area and where they have been safe. convince them its safe in front of your blind for a happy day of shooting :beer:
fowlhabit4
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum