Goose Hunting for Dummies

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Goose Hunting for Dummies

Postby waterdogds » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:50 am

Let me start by saying, I know zip about goose hunting. Being born and raised in N. Florida, I've never really thought about it until recently. Florida has also changed its laws on goose hunting, allowing us to hunt them state wide. I know of a few ag fields that have held some migratory birds in the past, but due to the laws then, hunting or harvesting was prohibited in that area. The birds I've seen in the past weren't in great numbers, so do I need a butt load of decoys. Again, please forgive my ignorance. My water fowl knowledge is limited to ducks, in which I'm still learning. My field hunting experience is limited to dove hunting. I just need a few pointers to head me in the right direction.

Number of decoys?
How important is calling and can it be effective if calling alone?(myself being the lone and inexperienced caller)
Any other essentials to consider.

Thanks for any advice. :thumbsup:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Re: Goose Hunting for Dummies

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:12 am

For decoys, I would mimick the spreads of what you see the geese doing. Typically in the early season, it's small groups of 4-5 spread out through a field. If I were you I would get 6-12 full bodies, and then some sleeper shells.
For calling, just make sure you don't call to much, if you only have 6 decoys out, dont blow your call like you have 6 dozen...
Concealment is key when field hunting. Try and use as much natural vegetation to conceal your layout blind (if that's what your using) and watch out for copperheads and eastern diamondbacks. :thumbsup:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:17 pm

shootable Goose wrote:For decoys, I would mimick the spreads of what you see the geese doing. Typically in the early season, it's small groups of 4-5 spread out through a field. If I were you I would get 6-12 full bodies, and then some sleeper shells.
For calling, just make sure you don't call to much, if you only have 6 decoys out, dont blow your call like you have 6 dozen...
Concealment is key when field hunting. Try and use as much natural vegetation to conceal your layout blind (if that's what your using) and watch out for copperheads and eastern diamondbacks. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info shootable Goose......I really appreciate your help. With what you given me, I feel like it could be a worthwhile venture. Thanks again, and have a safe and productive season. :thumbsup:

Do you have a suggestion for a good beginner call in the $60.00-$75.00 range
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:42 pm

waterdogds wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:For decoys, I would mimick the spreads of what you see the geese doing. Typically in the early season, it's small groups of 4-5 spread out through a field. If I were you I would get 6-12 full bodies, and then some sleeper shells.

Thanks for the info shootable Goose......I really appreciate your help. With what you given me, I feel like it could be a worthwhile venture. Thanks again, and have a safe and productive season. :thumbsup:

A good beginner call I would say is get a poly zink pc-1 for around $30. It's hands down the easiest, cheapest best sounding call there is. If I were you, I would keep an eye out in the classifieds. There's all kinds of "high end" acrylic calls like the foiles straight meat honker, and others going for $70-$80. It may not be brand new, but a call that has been used for a season or two is going to sound better because the guts are going to be fairly broken in compared to a brand new call.
Hope this helps and good luck this season!
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:55 pm

shootable Goose wrote:
waterdogds wrote:

A good beginner call I would say is get a poly zink pc-1 for around $30. It's hands down the easiest, cheapest best sounding call there is. If I were you, I would keep an eye out in the classifieds. There's all kinds of "high end" acrylic calls like the foiles straight meat honker, and others going for $70-$80. It may not be brand new, but a call that has been used for a season or two is going to sound better because the guts are going to be fairly broken in compared to a brand new call.
Hope this helps and good luck this season!

Helps me tremendously. Thanks again for your help. With any luck, maybe I'll be able to post some pics later in the season. :thumbsup:
waterdogds
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum