Pond in VERY public area

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Pond in VERY public area

Postby Jfk1700 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:18 pm

I have permission to hunt residents on a lake/pond (7 acres) in a very public area close to a residential development (developer wants them gone). I don't have too much experience hunting in a setting like this. I watch the pond daily and it doesn't seem like there is too much rhyme or reason as to when birds come in/leave. On an average day, there are 50-60 of them spread out around the lake, usually half swimming and half feeding on all of the new sod around the lake. Groups come in and go out throughout the day, usually never more than 12-15 at a time. I only have 16 floaters - and was planning to throw em all out - bunching them up in family groups of 5-7 because thats what I typically see.

The catch is that, due to the vicinity of the lake to the residential development, I can only hunt from one side of a small island in the middle of the lake. Hopefully I can make the spread enticing enough for groups to land where I will be set up - because typically they just land in the middle of the lake and swim around as needed.

Anyway, was hoping to get a few pointers from people who have hunted these types of ponds before. Wasn't planning on calling much or anything.
Jfk1700
hunter

Re: Pond in VERY public area

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:20 pm

I hunt a pond in the very same scenario as you. Surrounded by houses with island in middle. Early goose is hit or miss but depending on where you are that extra half hour of shooting time definitely helps! Just do what you said and keep an eye on how they are flocked up. 1 doz deeks are plenty. :thumbsup:
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby the cashman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Might want to check and see if the area is zoned "town" or not. We had a field once that was red hot, got permission and everything, only to find out it was technically in town. The town has a no discharging firearms law so no goosin for us :sad: every state and place is different, so you might just want to check it out before you lay the hammer down :beer:
N.O. Guide Service: D.D.F. Division Supervisor

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:14 am

the cashman wrote:Might want to check and see if the area is zoned "town" or not. We had a field once that was red hot, got permission and everything, only to find out it was technically in town. The town has a no discharging firearms law so no goosin for us :sad: every state and place is different, so you might just want to check it out before you lay the hammer down :beer:

Thanks for the advice. Luckily in my case I work for the developer who owns the land! And I am good to go on zoning. Definitely going to be hit or miss - I just have the feeling that they will come and go as they have been (randomly - so it seems) and will keep landing in the middle of the lake...and I will just be sitting there doing my best to make them swim over to my spread!
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby VincentCorrea » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:54 pm

A sneak box or layout boat would be great in that situation.
"I killed a huge goose once".
VincentCorrea
hunter

Postby renegadeduck » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:25 am

dont have any real advise but just a reminder. be as legal as an honest man can be. the law has so many gray areas just make sure your not just legal by federal standards but also the state. your nieghbors may like the geese and not you. we had issues with a public place that we got called on. we were fine but the dnr couldve given us a hard time. in md there is a law inwhich you can not pocess a flashlight while in an area in which birds are resting. aka cant use a light to set up or pick up decoys. however its almost impossible in some areas we hunt but most often not very safe.

Goodluck
renegadeduck
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Jfk1700 wrote:
the cashman wrote:Might want to check and see if the area is zoned "town" or not. We had a field once that was red hot, got permission and everything, only to find out it was technically in town. The town has a no discharging firearms law so no goosin for us :sad: every state and place is different, so you might just want to check it out before you lay the hammer down :beer:

Thanks for the advice. Luckily in my case I work for the developer who owns the land! And I am good to go on zoning. Definitely going to be hit or miss - I just have the feeling that they will come and go as they have been (randomly - so it seems) and will keep landing in the middle of the lake...and I will just be sitting there doing my best to make them swim over to my spread!

More then likely they will come to you decoys. Most likely they will land a good ways out from them and then swim into them. If there in there then they feel its safe and as long as you dont over call when their on the approach, you shouldnt have a problem. It sounds like you good to go legally. Burn-em-Up!
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:41 am

one thing you could do is put some kind of bright colored objects ie. blaze orange coat, snow cover, etc., etc. where you dont want the birds to land we do this sometimes when hunting waterways and the birds havent been using the field that close to the waterway.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:46 pm

If you can do a stakeout....do so and LISTEN to the geese on the water and see what they do while other groups are comin in....are they aggressive, are they quiet and don't pay much attention, are they just having a good time? This can give you an idea what incoming geese are USE to hearing durin their approach.
Hope this helps
sooner737
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum