How many is to many

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

How many is to many

Postby erp10 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:59 am

How many hunters is too many in a field with layout blinds. I could possibly have a total of seven. Do you guys think thats to many people for early goose.
erp10
hunter

Re: Re: How many is to many

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:11 am

erp10 wrote:How many hunters is too many in a field with layout blinds. I could possibly have a total of seven. Do you guys think thats to many people for early goose.

It all depends on how well they are grassed up. If you can stand back 50 yards and not make out the blinds, you are good. Ive had 10 blinds out before and did just fine. You just have to make sure to coordinate shots and make sure everyone pays attention.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Re: How many is to many

Postby sooner737 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:16 pm

I have hunted with 7 one time....im sure with the RIGHT 7 guys itd be OK but in my opinion 3 is the max number. I dont need to be worrying about 6 other guys. Are theymoving? Talking? Paying attention? Maybe im a control freak but i feel like i cant properly control the situation with 6 others. But then again maybe i just got a bad batch. I know crews gave7 guys hunting and 3-4 filming so like said above, numbers do not matter...just concealment.
sooner737
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:29 pm

Long as the blinds are concealed to keep the birds from busting you, you should be fine.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:39 pm

Had a winter hunt with 12 a few years back...

It went ok... Sounded like the first 20 minutes in Saving Private Ryan. the group shot 15 birds that day. I missed everything I shot at. :crying:

I wouldn't do it again. Musta' had stage fright... :lol3:

Gunny
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby erp10 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Well I will see how this thing work out, the field the birds are in only has corn stubble nothing else. Might be hard to hide one blind.
erp10
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:12 am

pile those blinds in a straight line and take a rake. birds see terraces all the time, rake, rake, rake, and taper the corners to look smooth and natural. set a couple deeks on the blinds. early season birds around here are fairly dumb, alot of juvys. just keep the other 6 guys down in the blind, dont need but 1 guy looking and calling the shot.
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby tealdog » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:07 pm

7 blinds is fine,especially early in the season. Just make sure you have a good talk with everyone before the shooting starts so your all on the same page. I've hunted 6-9 quite a few times. It can work out perfect as long as everyone knows their place. Designate your best 3 callers and tell every one else to keep their heads down with their hands on the gun!! Good luck. Done right big groups can wreck alot of birds really quick. I used to love the big piles but now it doesn't do much for me.
tealdog
hunter

Postby erp10 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:51 am

We did ok for what we had shots at. I tried to video the hunt, I need to have a talk with some fellas about not moving and keeping their heads down inside thier blinds. Once its on video there is no denying who was moving and why some birds flarred :mad:
erp10
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum