Need some help

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Need some help

Postby Joetpr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:01 am

I moved to West KY just over a year ago and have been able to lock down some good farmland. It runs just southwest of green river and less than a mile away from pond river. There is about 500 acres of corn and 2500 acres of beans on one tract. Then another tract has about 3000 acres of corn. A pond near by next to a road always has geese on it. They roast there I imagine. But anyway, how would I go about hunting the land? Would you hunt the corn or beans? I know people will say hunt where the geese are using it but what if I can't ever see them there just flying by. The land isn't very flat. Visibility is about 3/4 mile.

Also I currently have 160 big flock goose decoys but really want to sell them and get full bodies. I've decided on Higdon Alphas so how many and what kind (feeder, sentry, walker) should I get? I would like to keep the price around $1500.

Thanks.
Joetpr
hunter

Re: Need some help

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:24 am

corn will be easier to hide in. Your gonna have to make a few trips out there at random times to see if the birds are using a certain area of the land. Or ask the farmer to keep an eye out for you. As far as the decoys go, About 3 to 4 feeders for every 1 sentry/looker, and atleast a doz sleeper shells. If your not certain on where to set up,..try setting up on the brake line or dividing line of the two crops, assuming they border each other. There should be decent cover to hide and you cover both possible food choices if you set your spread in both plots.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum