Sept Goose SUCKS!!!

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Sept Goose SUCKS!!!

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:58 pm

I hunt geese in a place where I spend 3-7 days scouting to find 30 to 50 geese that I can hunt. I get out there at 3:30 so that I can get the field before somebody else does. Set everything up, agonizing over every little detail. Only to have the flock swing by wide and head out. BTW there is no just change the decoy spread up, or call more/less agressive until the birds tell you what they like, because those 30 or 50 birds all come in at once. If I blow it I am screwed until you can find another field... 3 to 7 days later. Am I the only one on DHC living this nightmare? The reason I ask is because I am reading as much as I can on how to set up an effective decoy spread and they ALL say just move your dekes around if the first flock doesn't like it. I only get to see 5 to 7 flocks ALL early goose.... this is going to be a long learning curve.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Re: Sept Goose SUCKS!!!

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:02 pm

I heard from a few that the geese are already south of you guys for the most part. Is that true? If I were you, assuming you haven;t done it already, find a harvested field and a resevoir and sit on the edge of either one lol. Sometimes its not the fast pace hunting your looking for, but in my opinion especially where I live (canadas end up in this section of flyway only where the weather messes them up) a few shots in a given day at geese, and Im really lucky lol
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Lol, no they haven't started moving south yet.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:28 pm

I hate sept goose hunting too. Its to hot, not enough birds around and you have to drive many miles to even find geese half the time. It doesnt get me near as excited as a cold snowy day when tons of migrators are around and you feel like you can hunt anywhere and have a awesome chance at running traffic IF you are not on the x. I have killed some last year in the early season in a pasture but this yr we killed 1 goose and tht was when i took my friends lil bro dor the youth duck hunt. Bring on November!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:17 pm

It can be a hassle that's for sure. Early goose I dont try very hard. A dozen decoys at most and just a couple clucks and double clucks to get their attention. These birds are used to relaxing and hanging out in the fields/pastures in family flocks. Dont put a 125 decoy spread out and call like its late season, it wont work.

A lot of guys have good luck with a half doz fullbodies in a pasture, or 2-4 floaters in a pond or along a river bank. These birds arent used to seeing flocks of 75-100 birds yet. Yeah they might all fly up at once, but if all 50 get up at once and they already find 75 new birds (decoys) at their favorite location, mom might take them away and go look somewhere else. This time of year they are still in family flocks. You just need a couple decoys to show them its safe to land. You arent trying to bring down big groups of new geese, these already want to go to your location. Just need a couple confidence decoys.

Also, if you do get some birds in.. make sure you shoot for the biggest ones. If you have a family flock of 6-10 birds and you take out mom and dad, it is very easy to call the rest right back around for another go.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:22 pm

I agree with BBK, Be where they want to be, use 6-12 decoys, hide extremely well, and call very little if at all. I mean one cluck and shut up. Early season geese are generally very quiet and just relaxing. If they show and lock up, don't call, don't move, and they will come :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:51 am

It can be tough. Often the birds are not in the "flock mode" yet. The individual family groups may have no interest in bieng with other geese. Here, they would share the same field but stay 60-100 yards away from each other. I have wondered if it isn't related to reducing the competition for food between the young of the year birds. I started emulating this with my decoys and had better luck. My spreds ended up being 150-175 yards wide and usually birds wanted to land on the edge of the spread. at least 40 yards from the other birds. Some birds still landed out of range but sometimes walked into the spread. Pressure may force them to flock up for safety but otherwise they may keep to their own most of the time till later in the fall.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:19 pm

My buddy always gets all worked up. We get out the first week and kill a few on a couple of days and he gets that itch scratched and we start fishing again until Oct. duck season and Nov. waterfowl comes back. They are fickle like teenage girls in September. :yes: I just consider it practice season. It's darn near a waste out here with deer hunters busting the roosts because they can bow hunt yet.

We have scouted them and set up the next day there and never saw one. They are just hit and miss in Sept. :tongue:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15 pm

How big of a spread did you set up? For early season I usually only place one or two small 3-6 bird family groups. I put one sentry in each group and the rest are feeders. Place the groups about 40 yards apart. If it is a windy day, I will even place my blind 40 yards down wind from the first group. Any birds coming in generally don't want to mix with the other birds except on the roost. That is why you may have such a big flock. Watch how quickly they spread out when they are in a field to feed. You will see what everyone mean about family groups.
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:04 pm

I have tried everything from 3 decoys to 60 (the one field that had 200+ geese) They just didn't want to break the 75 yard mark on me all early season. I did manage to suck in a few singles over the early season but the big flocks would come at the spread until 75 -100 yards and then swing around a few times and head out. The only thing I can figure is that pressure has gotten heavy around here and any hump (layout blind) in a cornfield or hayfield sends up a red flag.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum