Direction of decoys

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Direction of decoys

Postby duckhunter12345 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:02 pm

I was wondering if there is a certain way your decoys should face

Thanks
duckhunter12345
hunter

Re: Direction of decoys

Postby goodkarmarising » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:03 pm

I would face the vast majority of them loosely into the wind.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby qpm05a » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:05 pm

I try to just go random with mine
"Those who hammer their guns into plow shares, will plow for those who do not" T. Jefferson

64,999,997 gun owners killed no one yesterday
qpm05a
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:41 pm

qpm05a wrote:I try to just go random with mine

Me too. Seems to add a movement or immitate moving and feeding geese.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby shoreboy06 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:05 pm

make sure to face the majority into the wind....mix in a few in other directions cause honestly if you look at a field with geese in it they are all in different directions so its not really as big of a deal as alot of folks make it out to be. But you want to make your best effort to set up the decoys so the birds are trying to commit feet down in your face so moving the kill hole to one side or another depending on the wind makes a big difference
Ill be hyprocritical and you heard it on DHC so its gotta be true
shoreboy06
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:17 am

In real life content or relaxed geese do not face in to the wind. When geese are all facing in to the wind they are either nervous or getting ready to fly. I would put them in a variety of directions to simulate relaxed environments
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Put them out just as you see live birds in a field. If you look at CONTENT, CALM, feeding birds, very few are actually head up, facing into the wind. When you see birds facing into the wind, you likely spooked them, even being hundreds of yards away, and they are positioning themselves to take of into the wind and gain as much altidude as quickly as possible to escape danger. When you look at a bunch of feeding birds, you might see every other head up out of 200 birds, you might see one head up out of 50 birds, but you will never see all their heads up. If you do, those birds are spooked and you won't get a good idea of how a calm flock acts on the ground. In a spread of say 6 dozen decoys, I MIGHT face 1/4-1/3 of them into the wind. The rest are positioned all over the place as that is what live, calm birds do. Again it all depends on what you see live, content birds doing. It comes with practice and there are no definites either. Just have to keep trying till you find what works. The bad thing? What worked yesterday may not work tomorrow. Have fun! :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:51 am

Watch birds feed on a calm day and a windy day. You'll see a difference.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:58 am

I face mine in all different directions. If the wind is really whipping ill face more into the wind then normal. I always face my sleepers into the wind.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby qpm05a » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:08 am

Yea I do the same thing with my sleepers. Seems that's how real birds do it. Figured it was to keep the wind from getting under their feathers.

Also, does anybody do anything special with their dekes when the wind is howling besides face more into the wind? Seems the ones that face into it don't blow over as bad. Thinkin about getting some tent stakes to help hold the bigfeet and ring bases down. Just curious what others do.
"Those who hammer their guns into plow shares, will plow for those who do not" T. Jefferson

qpm05a
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:39 am

The small aluminum tent stakes work great to hold down bigfoots.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:04 am

5-7 mph and below I put them every which way, strong winds (8+) I put them almost all into the wind one way or another. They may be slightly angled one way but still facing the wind. When geese are on the ground they hate the wind. Windy days are also the best time to hunt fence rows or uncut corn, they are more likely to land closer to these to get some relief on really windy days.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:23 am

Tipsntails7 wrote:5-7 mph and below I put them every which way, strong winds (8+) I put them almost all into the wind one way or another. They may be slightly angled one way but still facing the wind. When geese are on the ground they hate the wind. Windy days are also the best time to hunt fence rows or uncut corn, they are more likely to land closer to these to get some relief on really windy days.

Wait. You consider STRONG winds to be...8 mph plus?!?! :eek: I don't even start thinking about having to worry about decoys tipping over until the wind gets to 15-20 mph. At 8 mph, the geese will still side slip the wind or even land with it. I'll take that 20 mph wind over a calm, 10 mph wind any day. :thumbsup:
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby qpm05a » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:39 am

Haaa here in Texas 10-15 is a calm day

qpm05a
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:42 am

I don't consider 8+ as a strong wind in general. But as geese go when on the ground I've found when it gets to7,8,9 mph steady, not gusts they generally like to face into the wind, especially the smaller (cacks) geese. I grew up In Portland which is in the heart of the Columbia river gorge so I know what a strong wind is. And I've never ever seen a goose land with the wind over 10mph EVER.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:47 am

And I'll agree DSM I like strong wind days a lot more, they come in lower, less time to pick the spread apart, but they decide to decomit they can get gone fast
How's my spelling WTN10

Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:13 pm

Tipsntails7 wrote:I don't consider 8+ as a strong wind in general. But as geese go when on the ground I've found when it gets to7,8,9 mph steady, not gusts they generally like to face into the wind, especially the smaller (cacks) geese. I grew up In Portland which is in the heart of the Columbia river gorge so I know what a strong wind is. And I've never ever seen a goose land with the wind over 10mph EVER.

Been to the gorge. Beautiful country! Lived in seattle for almost 2 years and made a point to fish the Columbia as one of my bucket list places for big river western steelhead. Nothing like the off-the-lake winds we get here on a daily basis in the late fall/winter though. We get 30mph winds on a regular basis here and even higher wind speeds every time the barometer fluctuates. In the almost 30 years of hunting and hunting geese I've learned one thing...never say NEVER. In fact a prime example would be this past early season. We normally have west/southwest prevailing winds this time of year in the totally calm to around 12 mph max range. Unless you are geographically able to force the birds in in one direction, they'll land cross wind, quatering into and you guessed it...WITH the wind. The last Saturday of the PA early season ad us set up on the southern most field of a very large dairy farm crop plot. The weather was rainy on/off, low, heavy clouds and a fluctuating south/southwest wind around 7-9 mph. The birds were hitting the only cut corn for miles and this corn was in the smallest field on the property. EVERY single bird, that came in, from every single direction, either dropped right in or circled once and hit the kill hole...on the extreme far side, but every single birds landed with the wind, right over our right shoulders. It almost screwed us completely, but luckilly we were able to reposition quickly to the oposite edge of the field in some very thin cover and we took 2 shy of a 2 man limit before they petered out. We were getting rain in our faces because the birds landed with the wind. Never say never...just sayin.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:57 am

If the wind is light, they can face all over the place, the thicker the wind, the more likely they are to all face more and more directly into it. A few odd balls here and there is also a good thing. I find that an entire flock will begin to all face the wind when they are ready to take off, maybe a bad message to send to birds you are trying to get to land??
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:20 am

Nothin like big river steelie, if you get a chance to come back you should try some smaller water, sandy river is prime, and late season up at Marmit damn is a great spot to fly fish if you do that. Also you should go up to multnomah falls and get hooked in to some 6 foot catch and release sturgeon. And I should never say never, I'm sure I havnt been doing this goose thing nearly as long as you, I just havnt seen it, maybe a product of how I set up and all that. And ya we normally don't have steady wind but gusts are what will get ya.
How's my spelling WTN10

Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby bobalong » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Tipsntails7 wrote:5-7 mph and below I put them every which way, strong winds (8+) I put them almost all into the wind one way or another. They may be slightly angled one way but still facing the wind. When geese are on the ground they hate the wind. Windy days are also the best time to hunt fence rows or uncut corn, they are more likely to land closer to these to get some relief on really windy days.

Just curious, how do you know geese hate the wind when they are on the ground???
bobalong
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:23 am

Any bird faces into the wind because if they go backwards, the wind blows up their feathers and gets them all disheveled.
When the wind is light, they can pretty much face any direction
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 am

bobalong wrote:

Just curious, how do you know geese hate the wind when they are on the ground???

Just watch their body language, on no win days, they spread out and walk about without a a care in which direction they walk. They also are generally more in the middle of the field. On windy days they feed into the wind, are more tightly grouped to use others to cut the win and will stay near wooded areas or down wind side o hills, or along fence rows. Just because they are geese doesn't mean they don't act like all animals. They like to be content, in a strong wind they are neither as warm nor as content when no wind. The poster above says it all, their feathers are meant to catch wind so it would be difficult and conversion to face with the wind and let the feathers blow
How's my spelling WTN10

Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:47 am

Tipsntails7 wrote:
bobalong wrote:

Just watch their body language, on no win days, they spread out and walk about without a a care in which direction they walk. They also are generally more in the middle of the field. On windy days they feed into the wind, are more tightly grouped to use others to cut the win and will stay near wooded areas or down wind side o hills, or along fence rows. Just because they are geese doesn't mean they don't act like all animals. They like to be content, in a strong wind they are neither as warm nor as content when no wind. The poster above says it all, their feathers are meant to catch wind so it would be difficult and conversion to face with the wind and let the feathers blow

Yup. In strong, cold winds, the birds will almost always try to feed into or quartering against the wind. The only time I haven't seen a goose sleep/rest with his breast to the wind is when there was no wnd. Cold air getting under the feathers will rob them of valuable warmth.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Also, does anybody do anything special with their dekes when the wind is howling besides face more into the wind? Seems the ones that face into it don't blow over as bad. Thinkin about getting some tent stakes to help hold the bigfeet and ring bases down. Just curious what others do.

yeah, we try and find the lee ward side of a large hill or mound in the field we found out feed in....works well. Other wise we place or decoys losely into the wind UNLESS in a grain field where we found them on a particular section feeding on a "line" of missed grain that was swathed and laying there...THEN we place them in a STRAIGHT line along that deal like they are eating at a trough. It works. simply gauge the wind and leave an open spot in the line...set up dwon wind of that and the birds will come into that spot. Was wierd at first to do it this way...I do NOT like change...unless it really works..this does.
tbossart
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum