Traffic Hunting

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Traffic Hunting

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:27 pm

This year my group has done pretty good on geese. Its our first year goose hunting and its really fun. The one main problem we have had is getting permission on fields. I live around Madison, WI and no one wants to giver permission even to kids. So I figured were gonna have to hunt traffic to kill birds. When I say this all of our birds this year have been traffic birds. I know to call and flag a lot but I was wondering how many decoys do u need. I figured all full-bodies and maybe a dozen shells would be the way to go. If you can give me estimates that would be great.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Re: Traffic Hunting

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:24 pm

I assume the question is how to bulk your spread?

If so, and you have some full bodies, I would assume money is an issue. I would get some corrugated plastic and make some silos. You build the front of your spread with full bodies and mix silos in from the front to all silos in the back. Consider silos as 1 1/2 dozen needed to fill the range of 1 dozen full bodies.

Here is 2 dozen with only 2 poses. I made 15 to 17 decoys from one 4x8 sheet. After Novemebr 6th you might be able to get yard signs for free. They just require more paint on them. :)
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Full bodies only
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:32 am

you might look into a sponsor here Big Al's silhouettes, or Real Geese silhouttes to adding an effective number to your set for cheaper than full body prices. Other wise my number for running traffic in that area would soley depend on the number o geese using the area. if you are seeing 1000's of brids and smaller flights of 20-30 birds 10dz you might be able to pull them in, but if the flights are bigger you should run a significntly bigger set. Running silos or lessers would be optimal for a situation like this and also remember that 10dz motionless decoys are useless especially when trying to finish the birds really close. The silos give the appearance of motion with all the different angles you can put the decoys and what not.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:08 am

5 dozen black & whites behind whatever dekes you have right now.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Hunter Specialties rags and silos. Those rags look funky but my first year we slaughtered geese all season with these and shell bodies!

Sent from my Tim Grounds Triple Crown
Takeem406
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:08 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Full bodies only
My spread is 120 silos, 2 (TWO) FBD's, and 2 dozen shells.
How come it works so good here when you insist on FBD's only?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm

The more the merrier while running treafficing birds!! Im a fan of FBS and shells my self and lieks Real geese sillos too... I mainly hunt over FBS.. Just what i prefer not saying its right or wrong.. i just like gthe most realistic i can get. GHG FFDS for me
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum