Hiding in chissle plowed corn

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Hiding in chissle plowed corn

Postby woodysniper » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:14 am

I'm trying to figure out how to hide in a chissled plow corn feild, Anybody out there have some good suggestions of how to hide? :help:
Remember to spay and nueter your democrats.
woodysniper
hunter

Re: Hiding in chissle plowed corn

Postby duckdozer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:17 am

One of these will come in handy

dig in to the doors
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby North » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:53 am

Just make sure you have the farmers permission before you start diggin in his field...

We've hunted the fence line on some chisled fields and have been able to get on some birds using a big spread. Otherwise it can be tough. I have a plain brown layout which I really slathered the mud on, and I'm going to give that a shot this year... with just a bit of stubble to look like the chisled field...
North
hunter

Postby woodysniper » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:34 am

Right now i'm thinking that we should leave the layout blinds at home, and just put some burlab on top of us, and then throw on some dirt and corn stocks. Probably put some decoys around and in between us to. I think it would be easier to hide that way.
Remember to spay and nueter your democrats.
woodysniper
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:02 am

Chisel plowed corn should be easy. You don't need to dig down very far, simply scraping away the clumps of dirt and getting your blind down a few inches helps. Mud the blind and use some stubble here and there to match the surrounding area. Some guys make the mistake of over stubbling, making a yellow rectangle in an otherwise mostly black field. Now, if it is a chiseled silage field, DMI ripped corn field, or true moldboard plowed field, it will be even more black, so mudding is even more important.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Fieldhnter2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 pm

My experience field hunting is that if you scout geese at least in N. Illinois 90 percent of Geese that have a choice as the season moves along will land in a chisled field vs stubble. Stubble is great when its wet and easy to drive on but chissel is where it's at. My theory is they love the turned up dirt and they have an unobstructed view of predators. Mud up the layout blind real good as others have said and use Max 4-d. It's a darker camo that blends perfectly in what you are trying to do. It's a young mans game as putting your spread and blinds in the the field is a pain in the arse! You are gonna be on the X 9 out of 10 times in a chisel field. If you don't believe me you can have a talk with my dog as he has retrieved more birds in a chisel field than he ever thought about in a stubble field. :)
Fieldhnter2
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:04 am

tornadochaser wrote:Chisel plowed corn should be easy. You don't need to dig down very far, simply scraping away the clumps of dirt and getting your blind down a few inches helps. Mud the blind and use some stubble here and there to match the surrounding area. Some guys make the mistake of over stubbling, making a yellow rectangle in an otherwise mostly black field. Now, if it is a chiseled silage field, DMI ripped corn field, or true moldboard plowed field, it will be even more black, so mudding is even more important.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.

Works very well. We dont even dig in, just mud and a little stubble.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Gabe1Davis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:56 pm

woodysniper wrote:Right now i'm thinking that we should leave the layout blinds at home, and just put some burlab on top of us, and then throw on some dirt and corn stocks. Probably put some decoys around and in between us to. I think it would be easier to hide that way.

sounds uncomfortable to me. lol. just dig down a little and you will be fine, like said above, if you can hunt a fence line with more grass or weeds around it you would be better off. but if the birds have been landing in one spot in the field then you should set up there. they will be zoned into that one spot and you will be alright. good luck man!
professional redneck.
Gabe1Davis
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum