Decoying geese over water.

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Postby david0 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:07 pm

I have been hunting a small lake. its pretty shallow for about 75 yards then it drops of a bit. I keep getting geese that want to land in my decoys but the keep turning just out of range and land in the deeper water. Do geese need deeper water to land? All i have for goose decoys is three floaters and about twenty shells. Every flock I have had hit the lake seem like they want to come in but they all turn at the last second. Any ideas?
david0
hunter

Re: Decoying geese over water.

Postby Huntfish12 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:20 am

Hide better, and stop calling when their already commited.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:07 am

Huntfish12 wrote:Hide better, and stop calling when their already commited.

^^ this

And maybe there is something in your spread that is flaring them. If I were you I would change the spread up a bit. I'd add a few more floaters to the spread. When they start to flare I like to give them some quickspits or double clucks. I Seem to have good luck with both notes.

Dont forget sometimes not calling at all can kill geese.

Hope this helps.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:26 am

There fellas have it covered. My first though is you were not concealed well.

Sit still and be quiet...there is nothing better than shooting a honker when he is 6 feet off the deck, setting up to land.

BTW I have had them land in shallow water plenty of times.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby noweil » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:38 am

I have killed lots of geese over small spreads. My best spread of floaters in the early season was 3 floaters. Are you using the shells and floaters? Make sure your hid well and I cant tell you how to call to finish the birds. I never plan how I'm going to call until I hear how much the birds are talking and how they are responding to the call. I do not quit calling often until the birds are finished and it is time to shoot. Sometimes you will talk them all the way in. If they start to lite long or slide off my decoys I usually get up on the call to keep them coming. That being said geese often like to land out in open water away from shore. That is where a marsh boat can help. Water depth should not be an issue. Shells work in shallow water and so do floaters.
Last edited by noweil on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby david0 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Thats kind of figured it did not mater. It just seemed like they were all landing right at the edge where it breaks into deeper water so I was just curious. I did have one locked up landing in the decoys today just where I wanted. Of coarse I was standing in them just getting ready to pick them up with my gun in the blind unloaded. I usually have my gun on a sling when Im packing up because it happens every time. I did end up getting it. Grabbed the gun hid behind some bushes and it swam on in. :grooving:
david0
hunter

Postby bighillbilly » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:20 am

If you are on the shoreline and have heavy cover behind you I have seen them pull up short. I think it is because they don't have an easy exit with tall trees, etc. at the shoreline. Also, you might try repositioning your hide to ensure it is off to the side and not what they are focuse don when coming into your decoys. Make sure they are focused on something besides where you are hiding. Also, go easy on the call over water. It will carry very far and be very loud traveling over water as a rule. Hope this helps.
bighillbilly
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:09 pm

had 3 try to set down into my decoys this morning... not even enough water to float my boat.. some of the decoys keels were on bottom... called a bit... but I think the flagging is what brought them in...
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:26 pm

Acrylic goose calls tend to be way too loud IMO on the water. Thats why a lot of water hunters choose a wood call. The acrylic could be echoing if its quiet out and turning them away from you if thats what your using. But, it sounds like concealment is an issue. Seems like you have them fooled until the last little bit then they turn off. So, make sure your hid well. Also, if you have lots of shore hunters around your area, the geese get smart to that and tend to land out off shore in deep water and access things before swimming up to their loafing/feeding areas along the shoreline. I live on the great lakes and our birds get tons of pressure and this is how they respond after the first week of hunting. Also, IDK what kind of bird numbers you have, but you may want to increase teh size of your spread. If you have lots of birds around with big flocks, then you may want a large spread to suck in those big flocks.

Good luck
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby renoduckman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:05 pm

I have shot many geese over shallow water. I do a bunch of goose hunting on duck type ponds. But i think your forgetting that geese can be very wary and do not allways come in perfect. They will land short many times, on land also. Now i get to watch HOnkers in a non hunting situation in town. My job is next to the Truckee river. Many times i have watched birds circle twice around live honking geese feeding on the lawn and then land out of range. If you were in your blind you will be pulling your hair out!
A bad day hunting beats a good day at work
renoduckman
hunter

Postby duaney2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:25 pm

You might try using a jerk string when they are working your spread.
duaney2
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum