New Pit Blind Build

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

New Pit Blind Build

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:34 pm

Hey guys,
We are building a new pit blind and we are looking for some ideas about how to configure our flip doors.
Can you guys post some pics of yours?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: New Pit Blind Build

Postby shoreboy06 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:05 pm

No doors. Put a half roof on it to keep you dry if its raining or snowing, I have tried flip out doors and they really just are a pain. We make sure to brush the front heavier to keep holes covered but i have found it easier to hunt without. I have seen guys modify garage doors and using a hand crank to shut them and a foot pedal to open it but watch your head if your calling
Ill be hyprocritical and you heard it on DHC so its gotta be true
shoreboy06
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:11 pm

We have a half roof on it now thats flush with the ground. In the opening we have fast grass flaps. We feel that brush is too hard to come up through, no doors leaves an open black hole that is very conspicuous..... I'm not looking for tracks with roller doors or spring loaded flaps or something, just low tech and reliable. I think we are going to stick with a version of what we currently have, just wanted to see what else is out there.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Can you hinge the fast grass flaps and then tension them with bungies or tarp straps to open upward when a release is hit?
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:22 pm

I was thinking of sandwiching the seams of the fast grass to hinged wood (which we have now) and then adding a long semi circle of 1/4" ply to stiffen it so when the other guy throws the door for you, it's a one hander. Now you rise up through the fast grass and it's poking you in the nose, the eye, getting you in the ear.... etc..
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby shoreboy06 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Like i said we dont use doors but we bundle switchgrass and the bundles are actually easy to come up from. If you brush it right you shouldn't be able to see any empty spots.
shoreboy06
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Another issue is that our field rotates from corn to rye and back again each year, so we need to be flexible with the coverage
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby shoreboy06 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:56 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Another issue is that our field rotates from corn to rye and back again each year, so we need to be flexible with the coverage

Ours is from corn to beans and winter wheat idk if you got switch grass but i am telling you thats the best hide in bean fodder that we have found
shoreboy06
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:34 am

just about got our pit done, try to post pics later .
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:19 am

Thanks.
We've done them before, just looking for a clever way that we have missed. Thanks
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:23 am

the pics are in reverse order of how they were made and installed, but you get the idea. This can be done cheeper then i did it, but i did some test fits and other mods before settling on this design. It can probably be done for somewhere around 100 bucks when all said and done. I bought the 45* and 90* angles of tubing instead of having them bent, and used slip unions to join all pieces of tubing togeather except what was welded. Have larger pics but cant upload them.
Attachments
100.jpg
another
100.jpg (31.75 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
102.jpg
with the doors installed
102.jpg (35.11 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
087.jpg
This is the finished door with paint and chicken wire
087.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
032.jpg
this is the final one made of 3/4" conduit. The bottom bar was cut and welded for support.
032.jpg (39.22 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
026.jpg
this is the mock up made out of pvc. It wouldd't be strong enough with all the corn attached.
026.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:35 am

This is like a start to finish. Let me just say that this is an OLD pit. it was put in, sometime in the 70's. It's extreamely out of square and difficult to work on when trying to things the right way. I would love to fill this thing in and dig another one but its not my land and its only the seccond year im hunting it, so i gotta work different angles with different pit members to try and go for it. Some fine tuning must be done with the corn on the doors so when there open they lay flat, and also when there closed, you have a better view underneith of them.
Attachments
101.jpg
101.jpg (34.36 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
103.jpg
103.jpg (43.44 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
096.jpg
096.jpg (39.8 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
097.jpg
097.jpg (35.72 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
099.jpg
099.jpg (41.23 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:41 am

How do you find the height of that back roof ridge stands out when your field is rye or another really low crop?
We had that and found that the birds were real skiddish. We are level and subterranean.....
There are days where if it's foggy or snow, you have to tip toe around trying to find the damn thing and it's a four man pit!
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:18 am

Slack Tide wrote:How do you find the height of that back roof ridge stands out when your field is rye or another really low crop?
We had that and found that the birds were real skiddish. We are level and subterranean.....
There are days where if it's foggy or snow, you have to tip toe around trying to find the damn thing and it's a four man pit!

well this year we put a new roof on it. Lat year the field was in soy bean and the roof didnt have much pitch on it. it was pretty flat, but thats because it was 30 years old and on the verge of collapsing. Theres not too much pitch on it now. It may appear so because of some of the corn stalks sticking up but they will be trimmed to make it appear more natrual.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:21 am

Wow..30yrs.
We used framing lumber, PL'd the joints, painted the plywood inside and out and got 8 years out of ours.....
Construction begins soon (so does the season!)
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum