Honkers and spec spread

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Honkers and spec spread

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:57 am

I am some what new to goose hunting and have a question about my spread in corn fields. I have family with cone fields and I have tons of honkers that feed there. I have been noticing that there are a lot of specs mixed in with them. My question is I have both spec and honker decoys should I put the spec deeks out with the hoonkers, put in there own group or just not use them
At all. Thanks for any input
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Re: Honkers and spec spread

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:04 pm

You'd be miles ahead to spend some of your speck decoy money on a good speck call. That and practice will help kill a whole lot more specks than adding speck decoys. But if you feel you must have speck decoys, which isn't the case, I'd segregate them beside the Canadas, rather than mixing them. As that's how they tend to share a spot in the field.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Rick Hall wrote:You'd be miles ahead to spend some of your speck decoy money on a good speck call. That and practice will help kill a whole lot more specks than adding speck decoys. But if you feel you must have speck decoys, which isn't the case, I'd segregate them beside the Canadas, rather than mixing them. As that's how they tend to share a spot in the field.

I have a decent speck call. Quack head. It works well for me being a first time calling specks. I have lots of spec deaks for when I hunt the valley. I have 6 big feet honkers and 12 shells. I was wondering if to make it look like a larger spread in my filed I ahould add specks. I have not seen specs out in the fields till this year. I just don't want to flate the honkers with spec deks.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:40 am

Doubt the speck decoys would bother your Canadas. Know virtually all Louisiana Canadas are shot over speck decoys.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum