calling tips

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

calling tips

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:00 am

so I am going on my first goose hunt next week without an expirenced caller, we are hunting a 90 acres of corn stubble and are on the x of the x. I only have a dozen full bodies so i am going pretty light in that department. the field is holding 3-400 geese;(cacklers,westerns, lessers). so my question is how much should I be calling? I can call well, just dont entirely know when to be. thanks. again, I am where they want to be.
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Re: calling tips

Postby noweil » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:20 am

Put out your dozen decoys, cover up well, and see what the birds do. If they are coming let them come and be quiet. Don't shoot them on the first pass at 40 yards. Let them work, watch the show and shoot them at 15 yards. I don't hunt little geese and I know they don't work like big geese but enjoy the experience and learn from it. I often hunt in the field with small spreads and I only try to call like one goose maybe two. I don't try to sound like a whole refuge full of birds. If being quiet doesn't work, call a little. If they want to slide off of you or work a different spot in the field maybe get on them a little more with the call. Good luck. Find out what works for you.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Calling is a great tool when used correctly. Geese are already coming to the field, so it shouldnt take any calling to get them into your field. Where calling will come in is if the birds drift off and want to land in another portion of the field. A flag is big here as well. Thats when some calling/flagging can turn them and get them lined up and back where you want them to be. Chances are, with the scenario youve outline, Some simple clucks and moans sounding like a couple geese is all youll probably need. If that dont work you may have to pick up the pace a little and get excited to get them back on track. You just have to read the birds and go from there. I hunt all big geese over here in the midwest, but some no no's IMO are over calling, calling continuously or from the time you see them 1.5 miles off until theyre over top of you. Id assume these are things that you shouldnt do either. No matter what happens, pay attention to the geese, what you did and the response it got good or bad. That will make you a better caller in the long run. Good luck.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Honk at they if they do not want to come. Do not honk if they are circling looking for something to move. Elsewise, be quiet.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Since it sounds like you are on the X, you most likely won't need to call a lot. Put out your decoys and watch the birds. If they start to turn or hang-up, hit them with some spit-notes and call moderately fast. From what I read from your post, calling should be the least of your worries :thumbsup:

Good luck and post up some pictures!
mayhem96
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum