decoy spread???

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

decoy spread???

Postby vapor300 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Ok heres the details

We have a 500 acre cut corn field that is pretty much an island that sits between the missouri river and a slough! And just on the other side of the river there is a huge sandbar where the geese usually roast. And last year we went out there a few times and the field was solid black from geese, pretty incrediable.

Well this year we have decidied to go after them full bore, we bought 4 layout blinds, i bought 7 dozen wingsocks, 36 shells and wanna get another dozen bigfoots. Mite throw in a few dozen ducks and snows.

We are going to have to place the blinds almost directly in the middle of the field, you cant get no where close to that slough cause my calling echos so bad!

Know there will probably be 4-5 shooters, how would you recommend putting the decoys out there???
vapor300
hunter

Re: decoy spread???

Postby Blackfoot down » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:12 pm

Vapor,
I am a fellow Missouri hunter, but I am way south in Marshfield. I am a die hard goose hunter! My suggestion is to dig your blinds into the ground if possible. The key to your success in an open field is concealment and a low profile! Try to face the wind at a 90 degree angle to where the birds are coming from and make sure to avoid the obvious of facing into the sun! High winds usually means the birds approach lower so a long thin spread is usually better. If there is little or no wind, open your spread wide and fat because the birds usually aproach more vertically and drop in. Under these conditions, I also place my decoys farther apart... Also, remeber that birds want out of the wind so look for depressions in the field that are lower than other areas. Also, most everyone thinks they have to hunt the middle of a field... I don't agree. Geese look for a spot that hasn't been eaten out, is out of the wind, and where they have good sight all around them... That doesn't always mean that the center is the best spot. Diagram your field and start x'ing out areas that are not a good place for geese versus what is a good spot for hunters and you will probally cut that 500 acres in half to help you decide where to hunt...

It sounds like you may have a great spot if you hunt it right! Good luck!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks, this is my first time setting up layout blinds, usually hunt in a pit.
vapor300
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:33 pm

I hope some of the advice helps you out! Good luck and let me know if you slay them. I am stuck working this weekend (Natioanl Guard) and don't get to hunt!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:19 pm

dont think ill make it out until after christmas, to busy at work
vapor300
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum