Feeder/Active/Sentry ratio

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Feeder/Active/Sentry ratio

Postby elwoodUT » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:47 pm

At the moment I have 29 full body honkers. I was wondering how many feeders compared to actives and lookers you should have. I think I have too many actives right now.
I have:
9 sentry
9 feeders
11 actives

Do I need to go out and buy more feeders? Thanks for any advice.
I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison
elwoodUT
hunter

Re: Feeder/Active/Sentry ratio

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:13 pm

More feeders wouldn't hurt but there have been times I have seen geese in "loafing fields" where very few birds were feeding so the active and sentry head positions were more natural.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:43 pm

I personally like most feeding. If they all have their heads up that usually means they are uncomftorable and are about to take off. I think a good ratio is like 80- 20... give or take a few.. i think.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:58 pm

I generally run about 1 senty or active for 8-10 feeders. If you watch geese when they are not bothered in a field, most will be feeding. When you run that many feeders/actives, it looks like they are spooked and ready for flight. Check out Goose Society, Goose Society II, and The Science of Hanging "Em Low from Molt Gear and Lynch Mob respectively. They really put a lot of "how to" into goose hunting. Both are great videos! I like the Lynch Mob a little better because of the message he relays about what it means to be a hunter (not a killer)... Both Lynch and Threinen are amazing hunters. I give part of the credit to where they live since they have tons of birds, but that also means lots of hunting pressure, so they still have my respect! Both of these guys really show good decoy placement strategies and how, when, and why to use certain kinds of decoy spreads. Both are hugely in favor of using mostly feeders with a few sentries mixed in. After watching these videos, I started watching live geese more closely and agree with them that most birds are feeding unless spooked (in a field situation)... I hope this helps you out! Good luck!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby elwoodUT » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks for all the advice. It definitely makes sense that it seams like they are more natural and it is more tempting for geese to come in there are more feeders.
I am going out to a field on Sunday and now I am thinking I might take a couple dozen of my silhouette feeders and just mix them in with my full bodies. Anyone have tips for mixing them? It should be a cloudy day and wind of about 17mph.
I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison
elwoodUT
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:31 pm

If I hunt with silo's I put them to the down wind side. Also anything over 15 is generally when geese fly lower and land longer. Lengthen your spread into a long 50-60 yard V. Place the silos closer to your blinds. Since it will be cloudy, they shouldn't glare and the realism may help draw them down the pipe... Good luck!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:00 pm

I honestly dont think it matters. And personally i prefer lots of sentries. When you look across a field with geese in it, what do you see? Black necks. Had a hunt this fall in a corn field where my Dad and i whacked our limit outta the first flock. Picked the birds up and before we could get back to the blinds wave apon wave came. So we just dove in the blinds and they just piled in. Was an awesome show. Im talking a 1000 birds or more surround the layouts. Field was covered with sentries and in a much higher ratio to birds feeding. Walking around heads up, pick a few kernels of corn and heads back up. IMO, when geese approach the geese on the ground see/hear them and have their heads up and take notice. No different than if your out in your yard raking leaves and your neighbor comes outta his house and walks over to you. You stop what your doing and take notice and likely communicate in some way. IMO, the geese are no different in that respect. So, to say sentry heads show uneasiness to an approaching flock is not a good argument IMO. Geese on the ground in any pose in a place where geese have been using should just make the approaching birds feel right at home.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:14 am

Keep in mind that even when feeding geese will pop their heads up and look around. If you have 100 geese in a field that means you are going to see quite a few "heads up" at any given time. As long as your sentries are not grouped in one spot I wouldn't worry about it. You can get away with quite a few if they are intermixed with the feeders.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:21 pm

I love active walkers to the spread. I try to have 1 doz actives in 2-3 groups walking towards the main spread. In the main spread, I have 3:1 feeder to actives and in the snow, I have 1 active per doz decoys.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum