Big Foots or GHG Pro Grade?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Postby elwoodUT » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:01 am

I currently have 2 1/2 dozen GHG Pro Grades and need to add more feeders. I found a really good deal on Big Foots and am thinking I will add them in. So should I just buy feeder Big Foots or should I start converting all to Big Foots or just pass on them and try to find some more Pro Grades?
I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison
elwoodUT
hunter

Re: Big Foots or GHG Pro Grade?

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:05 am

I know most people will disagree with me but GHG all the way man. They look so much better then the bigfoots in my opinion... and even if some people say it doesnt matter i like the motion that comes with GHG. I run all GHG FFD's and love mine. I will admit that you have to take care of them a little more than the Bigfoots but i would never trade y GHGs for Bigfoots. Bigfoots just dont look as good to me and dont care much for the big black feet stands. I also head the new B2's dont hold their paint as wel as the original. Idk just what i heard.

Best of luck,

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:09 am

Create a post "what complaints do you have with original bigfoots" and you will zero replies. Bigfoots are one of those products that will last forever. You will not regret it.
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:14 am

Big feet.

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:55 am

Bob Caygeon wrote:Create a post "what complaints do you have with original bigfoots" and you will zero replies. Bigfoots are one of those products that will last forever. You will not regret it.

I have a complaint about bigfoots.

I can't aford as many as I would like..........................Wait....... that's not Bigfoots problem................. :lol3:
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 am

Its all about the eyes of a hunter. If you like the head of a feeder to be closer to the ground, go GHG. If you want durability, go BF. With that said, it doesnt seem like you run a trailer, so consider the size of a BF before you buy. I dont have the money to spend on a trailer yet, so I buy decoys I can shove in 6-slots and stack on the back of my truck.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:49 am

Big Foot B2's at cabbalas for $120. GHG full bodies are a pain. I like how when u pick up a big foot the whole decoy comes with. The motion bases are a pain unless u have a trailer.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:49 am

The B2's paint is tough too.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby shooter2 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:29 pm

my little brother shot a big foot (accidently) and it caught about eight bbs and you can barely tell. i hunt hard nearly every day and my bigfoots are prolly 8 years old and im known to be rough on my gear and mine still look brand new.
shooter2
hunter

Postby Gabe1Davis » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Bob Caygeon wrote:Create a post "what complaints do you have with original bigfoots" and you will zero replies. Bigfoots are one of those products that will last forever. You will not regret it.

yep yep yep.
professional redneck.
Gabe1Davis
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Splurge a little bit and go Dakota they last and look the best.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby NVduck » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:56 am

I own both brands of deeks. So lets start with durablity. BIg foot all the way for durabilty you can hurt those things. Now for look i do prefer the GHG plus the motion is nice to have.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby shoreboy06 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:01 pm

Without a doubt go with the Big Foot decoys, you will never have to worry about on falling apart, paint coming off or bases breaking...I am hunting over the Original Big Foots, like the ones from 1985 the decoy unlimited Big Foots. I have bought some more along the way of course, and tried the GHG ones as well. I don't do bags, i slam stuff in the trailers drop em ran a few over, and had some shot....thank God there were not GHG cause they would be in the dumpster the big foots, pop them back dust them off and rock and roll. You can get the flocking kits for heads, and tails so that is also something to consider but i wouldn't hunt over anything else but a big foot
Ill be hyprocritical and you heard it on DHC so its gotta be true
shoreboy06
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:11 pm

I've got several dozen GHG. I'll be trying Dakota next. The GHG heads on my older dekes break easy.
My new Lessers are ok though.

Sent from my layout blind
Takeem406
hunter

Postby NEHONKERS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:24 am

I prefer Big Foots for their durability. "Carry six and kick two"!
NEHONKERS
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Final Approach is the most realistic looking decoy on the market today. Big Foot decoys are amazingly durable. GHG are solid middle ground. Each decoy has a few pros and cons. If you want realistic decoys for late season, go FA. They are a pain in the @$$ to set up, but they are so real looking that I have had people on the road stop to watch them. The paint is perfect for late season. The GHG's are easier to set up, but my experience is that the paint can chip a little. They are black plastic underneath and I have to touch them up before each season. The Big Foot deeks need no work ever, but their color is very bland like early season birds. Plus, you gotta admit, they look cartoonish. I have used all three and like them each for different times and situations. However, I have been leaning more towards the FA's because of the realism and the tail flocking. I also started flocking the tails of all of my GHGs, but the I can't get flocking to stick to the Big Foot tails.
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:35 am

Blackfoot down wrote:Final Approach is the most realistic looking decoy on the market today. Big Foot decoys are amazingly durable. GHG are solid middle ground. Each decoy has a few pros and cons. If you want realistic decoys for late season, go FA. They are a pain in the @$$ to set up, but they are so real looking that I have had people on the road stop to watch them. The paint is perfect for late season.

The 2 dozen FA lessers I owned had an orange-brown tint to the paint that i've never seen on a real goose.
You want to talk late season paint, decoys that have more grey and black than brown would be the paint scheme to have. The darker the better on the backs. Dakotas, real geese, paint schemes like that.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:16 pm

tornadochaser,
Are they an older model of FA's? I bought half a dozen last year and a dozen more this summer. The paint is a darker greyish brown and the tails are flocked... They don't have any orange tint to them. I will be mad as h@!! if they fade to some kind of orange color!!! If they do, I will just mix in some lawn flamingos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol3:
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:27 pm

Blackfoot down wrote:tornadochaser,
Are they an older model of FA's? I bought half a dozen last year and a dozen more this summer. The paint is a darker greyish brown and the tails are flocked... They don't have any orange tint to them. I will be mad as h@!! if they fade to some kind of orange color!!! If they do, I will just mix in some lawn flamingos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol3:

Get the flamingos ready!
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:19 am

We have 18 Big Foots left in our spread and the rest are Avery FFD`s. If durability is a key factor in your considerations then I would recomend the Big Feet, but if absolute realism is paramount GHG comes closer. As I said we have a few big Feet leftover after decades of use , but when we land birds in our Avery FFD`s and you can`t tell the decoys from the birds unless they move you`ve got something going for you . I like the quality of the new Dakota fully flocked dekes but they look like a decoy on steroids with their bulging contours.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:54 am

I like because they not only look good but they hold up very well. I think the Dakota's are too fat.

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:54 pm

I have hunted over big foots over the past few years. I love em. They are easy to set out and easy to pick up. They may not look as good as another particular decoy, but they still look really good. I have had B2's and like said before, the paint is not as good as the originals. The paint on the tails of mine started to chip. One of my hunting buddies has GHG and FA's. They look good too. They are just a hassle setting out and picking up. If I was in your position, I would go with the Big Foots.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:26 pm

ILgoosehunter12 wrote: One of my hunting buddies has GHG and FA's. They look good too. They are just a hassle setting out and picking up. If I was in your position, I would go with the Big Foots.

I have converted all my Avery GHG to the Dakota stand setup. The stand remains with the decoy without hindering movement in the field but allows me to rack store them on the walls of the decoy trailer. See the post "Avery decoy conversion " in the decoy trailer forum . You get the benefit of realism without the hassel of bagging and seperating the stands . The matter of choice comes down to personal preference . I still put out my 18 remaining Bigfeet when we hunt. Old habits are hard to break.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 pm

John O`Neal wrote:
ILgoosehunter12 wrote: One of my hunting buddies has GHG and FA's. They look good too. They are just a hassle setting out and picking up. If I was in your position, I would go with the Big Foots.

I have converted all my Avery GHG to the Dakota stand setup. The stand remains with the decoy without hindering movement in the field but allows me to rack store them on the walls of the decoy trailer. See the post "Avery decoy conversion " in the decoy trailer forum . You get the benefit of realism without the hassel of bagging and seperating the stands . The matter of choice comes down to personal preference . I still put out my 18 remaining Bigfeet when we hunt. Old habits are hard to break.

Thats a good idea! The ones my buddy has, have those stakes. IMO they are a hassle. Especially if the ground is frozen.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 am

Real geese move, feed with their heads on the ground, and don't have big HUGE black feet. GHG is for me. Also the 6 slot bags don't blow out of the truck. Nothing is worse than having a dozen Bigfoot deeks when you leave the field, and only having 8 when you get home because your buddy was cold and just threw in the truck on top of everything else.
bandchaser
hunter

Next

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum