What kind of goose is this?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Postby JaredR215 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:18 pm

I shot this guy yesterday afternoon in northern CO. First thought was a blue goose, but then I started looking and he doesn't have the wing highlights. any opinions?

JaredR215
hunter

Re: What kind of goose is this?

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Leucistic cackler from the looks of it. Noting more than missing pigment (melanin) in the feathers. VERY PRETTY bird btw. Nice take! :beer:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby redlabbarry » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Looks like a farm/canada crossbreed to me. Have shot plenty of them here in Pa.
redlabbarry
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Might I ask where in No Co that was shot? There was a pair last year of some funky Canada's, my dad happend to shoot one last year. The other, has since returned this migration and I have heard from multiple people that they have seen it. Definitly not the same bird im talking about, but we sure have been seeing weird birds latley :huh:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Guzman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:47 am

The size of the beak in his hand makes me think it is a lesser Canada, which would make me doubt it is part farm goose.

Leautistic are ussually lack of pigment throughout the whole bird.

It could be a gentic variation.

My guess is somewhere in its genetics it has some snow goose mixed with lesser canada goose.
Guzman
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:49 am

Guzman wrote:The size of the beak in his hand makes me think it is a lesser Canada, which would make me doubt it is part farm goose.

Leautistic are ussually lack of pigment throughout the whole bird.

It could be a gentic variation.

My guess is somewhere in its genetics it has some snow goose mixed with lesser canada goose.

No, it isn't. Leucism is defined as an abnormal coloration of plumage, hair or skin where either patches or the entire body is missing the pigment melanin. This differes from albinism in that in albinism, ALL pigment has been omitted, and even the eyes are missing any pigment. Agreed that it's nothing more than a lesser missing some color though.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:22 am

dsm16428 wrote:Leucistic cackler from the looks of it. Noting more than missing pigment (melanin) in the feathers. VERY PRETTY bird btw. Nice take! :beer:

Missing pigment in the feet too?

Something janky about that bird.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby King Eider » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:57 pm

I have seen a couple like this in the past and mounted one. My thought is Hutch/CacklerXSnow hybrid.
King Eider
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
dsm16428 wrote:Leucistic cackler from the looks of it. Noting more than missing pigment (melanin) in the feathers. VERY PRETTY bird btw. Nice take! :beer:

Missing pigment in the feet too?

Something janky about that bird.

Absolutely. We get a ton of leucistic birds around cnetral/south-central PA. Something in the gene pool there...
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Looks like a piebald lesser canada or cackler.... Really cool looking bird. A few years ago, I shot a resident greater canada that has piebald markings on his neck, but his beak and feet were still black. It is a genetic mutation like albinoism. There are a few piebalds on the golf course next to my house. I tried to get a pic of one to show you, but my camera sucks...
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Here's a piebald goose that my dad shot last year. It is missing pigment in the feet as well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355887627.137818.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355887644.465549.jpg
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:49 pm

shootable goose,
That looks like the golf course goose that haunts my dreams!!!!!! I wish I had mounted the one I shot a few years ago, but he wasn't completely piebald on his whole neck... He just had a big patch over his head and about half his neck, then it looked like salt and pepper. That is a great pic! Did he mount it?
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:00 pm

Here's a pic of my own goose Moby ****. I called him "Iquinsoocha" or white devil. Lol. I watched this guy, a hybrid for 4 years before finally getting him in range. He was paired with a true Canada and he even honked like one, all be it like he smoked 2 packs of pal mals a day. He was BIG too! The true Canada's on either side are big resident birds that weighed in at 9 and 10 1/2 pounds each. Must have been sterile too because I never saw them nest or have any young.
Attachments
IMG_201212192944.jpg
dsm16428
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Blackfoot down wrote:shootable goose,
That looks like the golf course goose that haunts my dreams!!!!!! I wish I had mounted the one I shot a few years ago, but he wasn't completely piebald on his whole neck... He just had a big patch over his head and about half his neck, then it looked like salt and pepper. That is a great pic! Did he mount it?

Sure did.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355976259.738611.jpg

When he shot this goose it was with another goose almost identical too it. The other one never got shot and stuck around the farm for a while after his "sibling" was killed. He even came back this year! Haven't seen him in a few months but the landowner spotted him in September. We have a pool going for whoever kills it. Although there's a lot of hunters around so it might have already been killed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355976422.313698.jpg
shootable Goose
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum