The lighter side of hunting. Funny stories.

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

The lighter side of hunting. Funny stories.

Postby hockymvp » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:00 pm

It's happened to us all. Either botched a shot, or played a cruel trick. What's your story? I'll start.

Today I went Goose hunting with my Dad. We shot the crap out of Geese last weekend. This morning we set up. About an hour into the hunt we see two Geese get up off a lake about a mile behind us. We watch as they fly towards us. We get into our pit, and call them in. They swing around our decoys, and start to land. My Dad calls the shot. He estimates they were maybe thirty yards away from us. We pop up, and start shooting. First shots miss, and we proceed to unload the rest of our shells. Next thing you know they are flying off, and we are staring at eachother like "What the **** just happened?". We cuss, and start laughing. We joke about how crap like that happens, but with shots that close it probably won't happen ever again. I said "At least we got our screw up out of the way early in the season. It won't happen again".
About an hour later we see three Geese get up from about the same spot. They fly toward us. We call them in, and this time they fly right in to the left of us. My Dad calls the shot, and we both jump up. Our first shots miss again, and we proceed to unload. My Dad gets off all three shots. I stop at two. My Dad says these were even closer than the first two. Eleven shots at five Geese, and we whiff on every shot. We pack up, and leave shortly after. crap happens!
hockymvp
hunter

Re: The lighter side of hunting. Funny stories.

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:00 pm

I had a good one. We were doing a canoe trip...get around a bend and there are a handful of mallards. I'm using a Nova before I got my A400...and shoot, drop one, pump - click, pump - click. I only put one more shell in the gun and the rest were gimmes!!
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby hockymvp » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:44 pm

We had some trickery going on in our blind the other week. We put a dummy round in a friends shotty when he got out of the blind. His first shot was going to be a dud, and the last two were real shells. We didn't see many birds so we ended up telling him. If we only had one flock come in it would have been messed up to make him miss that chance. Later in the day he loaded that blank, and started yelling about how stupid the hunt was. He was complaining that we didn't see any birds. He told one of the guys his decoys were cheap, and basically crap. He pointed the shotty at one of the decoys, and fired that blank. The guy that owned the decoys got up, and ran out of the blind. Only to see the decoys were fine. We had a good laugh at that one.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:43 am

I took my dad and 2 younger brothers to one of honey holes. Me and my dad switched out both of my brothers boxes of shells with blanks. One of them caught it after 3 flocks came in, the other kept claiming the rest of our ducks. After the hunt he was talking about how great of a shot he was and how all the ducks he shot dropped. We told him what we did and he didn't believe us, so we had him pattern his gun with some of the left over blanks. It was hilarious!
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:00 am

rebelp74 wrote:I took my dad and 2 younger brothers to one of honey holes. Me and my dad switched out both of my brothers boxes of shells with blanks. One of them caught it after 3 flocks came in, the other kept claiming the rest of our ducks. After the hunt he was talking about how great of a shot he was and how all the ducks he shot dropped. We told him what we did and he didn't believe us, so we had him pattern his gun with some of the left over blanks. It was hilarious!

LOL...gotta love the guys that always "hit" the ones thats drop...everytime.
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Bo Beaver » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:40 pm

We went out earlier than usual yesterday because the day before we had watched thousands of geese come off the bay and head to a field to the southwest of our location. As we didnt receive permission to hunt the field the birds were using we decided the only thing we could do was try to hunt the traffic. We got to our spot on the flightpath at about 5:30am and started breaking ice for floater honkers and ducks. We opened the hole in 3inches of ice with a slegde, a pickaxe, and a rake. The bigfeet and a couple flambeau keelless floaters were spread around the hole. The whole process took us until shooting time at which time we retired to the blind to wait for birds. Not one single bird was seen between 7:32am and noon, that gave us plenty of time, so..... we kicked chunks of ice back and forth for a couple hours, laughed hilariously as we watched each other throw chunks of ice like girls with our off hands, laid on the ice for a nap, and took many trips through the hole to keep off the skim ice. That takes us up until about 10am by which time we were so completely bored that everytime a truck drove by and stopped to check our success, we would run circles around the hole while flapping our arms like a goose to give them something to look at. At noon, just as the day before, the geese picked up off of Saginaw Bay. One member of our group, was catering to natures call when the first string of birds was spotted on the horizon. He did manage to avoid urinating on himself, but ran tripping and fumbling with his waders through the corn stalks and back to his seat. The geese poured in constantly for an hour and a half into the field that we had marked the day before.None low enough to shoot at and none interested in visiting our mini refuge despite all of our efforts. Even with all the hardwork and boredom, the whole day was worth it to see the chunk of sky blacked out by the birds lifting at once to return back to their roost on the bay.
"Fear and dread of you shall be upon the beasts of the earth, and the fowl of the air, all that moves upon the earth, and all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be meat for you." Gen9:2
Bo Beaver
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:56 am

OmegaRed wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I took my dad and 2 younger brothers to one of honey holes. Me and my dad switched out both of my brothers boxes of shells with blanks. One of them caught it after 3 flocks came in, the other kept claiming the rest of our ducks. After the hunt he was talking about how great of a shot he was and how all the ducks he shot dropped. We told him what we did and he didn't believe us, so we had him pattern his gun with some of the left over blanks. It was hilarious!

This is why some guys will NEVER hunt alone............................LOL
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 am

The birds have been getting up late here in Colorado. Monday we hit a field by I-25, and weren't seeing much. We dropped two early, but then it got real quiet. Someone brought a football, and we were playing football in the decoys. Which was funny in itself. I've never seen any fields with guys playing football in the decoys. Seemed like every time we stepped out to throw a pass a flock would start heading our way. So if you want birds to come to you, just start tossing passes in the decoys! Seemed to work every time!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:29 pm

hockymvp wrote:The birds have been getting up late here in Colorado. Monday we hit a field by I-25, and weren't seeing much. We dropped two early, but then it got real quiet. Someone brought a football, and we were playing football in the decoys. Which was funny in itself. I've never seen any fields with guys playing football in the decoys. Seemed like every time we stepped out to throw a pass a flock would start heading our way. So if you want birds to come to you, just start tossing passes in the decoys! Seemed to work every time!

Whenever someone has to take a leak he says something along the lines off, "time to put out the PEEcoy"
Seems like the birds start flying when someone takes leak. :lol3:
Hocky, the last few weeks I have noticed the birds when it's really cold don't start flying till about 9:30. I clocked it a few days in a row and they seem to wait untill it is 20 degrees to go out to feed.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:47 pm

PEEcoy is funny. Haha. The birds have been flying super late here in Colorado. Little after nine, or close to ten. Although, I went out Tuesday, and we got busted by a couple pairs early. We have started to get breakfast before we go out. Seems to get us out there at just the right time!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:05 pm

hockymvp wrote:PEEcoy is funny. Haha. The birds have been flying super late here in Colorado. Little after nine, or close to ten. Although, I went out Tuesday, and we got busted by a couple pairs early. We have started to get breakfast before we go out. Seems to get us out there at just the right time!

:lol3: I hunt in colorado man.
Ya we usually don't get to the field to start putting out decoys till about 8 or so. Why rush it when the birds aren't even flying yet. Plus, I hunt a field right next to the roost so when they go out to feed, you know about it :lol3:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:52 pm

I went to a managed area once and jammed I'm On A Boat while launching and starting out down the boat lane. I have never seen so many pissed off hunters ever!!!!!!!!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby IdahoD » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:36 am

Went to my cousins place a while ago and didnt bring my gun, they had a spot they like to jumpshoot so I borrowed my uncle's old 20 gauge so I could come along and shoot. We jumped a mix flock of ducks and geese and I unloaded that 20 pretty fast and I thought I could get another shot off so I jam my hand in my pocket and pull out another shell and throw it in the gun, pump forward, and pull the trigger, click. Dang! I pump down slowly so I could grab the shell and see if the primer was dented and my chapstick slides out of the action. Many jokes of trying to save the waterfowl population from the discomfort of dry, chappy lips followed.
IdahoD
hunter

Postby Deuce22 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:45 pm

I was freezing cold and decided to pack it in a bit early this afternoon after getting nothing to commit all afternoon. I unloaded my gun and put the shells in my bag. I bend down and throw the decoy bag over my shoulder and hear a honk. 2 geese flying right at free level coming right at me... Must have been a funny sight seeing me dig back in that bag for a shell. By the time I got one, they were too far.
Deuce22
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:45 am

It never fails. When we start picking up, birds fly close to us. My Dad has had Geese land next to his truck as he was packing up. Said he ran for his shotty one time, but didn't have enough time to get a shot off. That would be crazy!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:37 pm

hockymvp wrote:It never fails. When we start picking up, birds fly close to us. My Dad has had Geese land next to his truck as he was packing up. Said he ran for his shotty one time, but didn't have enough time to get a shot off. That would be crazy!

Had this happen last Friday. We had already killed 11, and needed one more for our limit. We decided to call it a day and pack up. We had my truck and 2 piles of Bigfoots stacked up about 4 feet high each. We still had about a dozen decoys set up and all of a sudden a goose came over the trees and was circling, in the mean time my friend grabbed his gun and when the goose was back pedaling 20 yards from my truck, he blasted it. :lol3:
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Now for you guys that have birds when your picking up decoys. Get you get a sling. I've killed a few ducks by picking up and shooting as they came by and about did it to a flock of 20 or so snows.
Last edited by ARduckboy24 on Sun May 05, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby lucyming » Sun May 05, 2013 4:46 am

Seems like the birds start flying when someone takes leak.

Postby winchester1852 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:44 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:

This is why some guys will NEVER hunt alone............................LOL

this is why i hunt alone cant stand those types of people.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:28 pm

My hunting buddies will give you the bird if you said you shot it. Whether you did, or not. They don't want to clean the extra birds!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:29 pm

i was hunting the pa late season this past season in a snowy corn field. i got there extra early. dug a hole in the snow, placed my blind in the hole and burred it. i then placed out 3 dozen decoys as there were close to 80 birds coming to this field. well i settled down in my blind around 8 and waited, and waited, and waited. well it got to be around noon so i went beck to my truck grabbed a sandwich and layed back in my blind to soon fall asleep. well i woke up at close to one to honking and a hole bunch of sh#t going on in my decoys. i looked up and there were probably around 20 geese walking around and feeding in my decoys. i saw a pair coming in to land so i figured i would wait for their feet to drop and i would sit up and shoot. well i did and shot all three shells reloaded and shot two more times at birds that were late to fly. I only dropped one bird. i then packed up and left.
Pigeons-201
woodchucks-33
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:31 pm

Had one guy who would hunt with us and he had that "perfect" shotgun. Well one foggy morning at the meeting place we slipped his shotgun out of its case and put a piece of pipe in it. We got to "rushing" to load and get to the ramp early. My other buddy leaned the other guys gun case between the truck and trailer and as we pulled off we heard this thump wump noise as we pulled forward. So I put the truck in reverse and backed up until the lights hit his gun case. This guy jumps out of the truck screaming and crying :sad: as we tried to keep a straight face. When he saw what we had done he chased us around the parking lot for 10 minutes. The rest of that day he never sat his gun down after we told him what we did. Oh, it did shut him up about bragging on his gun. :biggrin:

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum