What to do with all the goose meat?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

What to do with all the goose meat?

Postby muskyduck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:25 am

I know many of you kill a heII of a lot more geese then I do in a year (I'm usually targeting ducks), so what do you do with all the meat?

I got about 100lbs this year and usually I have hot sticks and slim jims made, but prices are up around here. I'm thinking about trying it myself but casings are gonna cost me $100 to do it anyway. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :no: :no: :no:
muskyduck
hunter

Re: What to do with all the goose meat?

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 am

Grind it, use it in substitute of beef. Fajitas. Jerky. Grill it. Stix are easy to make in the oven if you have a grinder.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:45 am

Good lord. Our posession limit is eight birds. My motto is don't kill more than the state posession limit, or more than you can eat.

Besides that. Jerky is my preferred way to prepare Goose. It's fairly easy. You can get a meat slicer cheap.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:11 pm

hockymvp wrote:Good lord. Our posession limit is eight birds. My motto is don't kill more than the state posession limit, or more than you can eat.

Besides that. Jerky is my preferred way to prepare Goose. It's fairly easy. You can get a meat slicer cheap.

Don't pass judgement to quickly before you consider the facts...
My hunting buddy and I pool our meat together. Average is 4 lbs of boneless meat per bird with brsts and legs. We have 10 possession limit for early season, add reg season on top that. There are ppl on here that get limits of geese daily, that is why I was curious, they must get a ton of meat and they are usually in areas that have much larger limits then where I am. Snow goose hunters, what do you do with all that protein...?
muskyduck
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:47 pm

muskyduck wrote:I know many of you kill a heII of a lot more geese then I do in a year (I'm usually targeting ducks), so what do you do with all the meat?

I got about 100lbs this year and usually I have hot sticks and slim jims made, but prices are up around here. I'm thinking about trying it myself but casings are gonna cost me $100 to do it anyway. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :no: :no: :no:

If you, or friends, like corned beef, I usually do 4 or 5 geese at a time. It tastes just like corned beef, except that there's no intramuscular fat in the corned goose.

Here's the recipe:

Brest Meat 1 Goose
1 cup Morton's Tender Quick
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Pickling pice
3 Cloves arlic
Dash of Apple Cider Vinegar

Cover the above ingredients in water in a non-mettalic container (Tupperware works great): Refrigerate for 7 days. Shake at least once per day.

After 7 days rinse meat in cold water to remove loose spices. Then put in a pot with cold water with a dash of apple cider Vinegar and add 2 tablespoons of Pickling spices. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 3 1/2 hours, or until you can twist a fork in it and it flakes ... that may take as long as 5 hours. Let sit in water for 1 hour , Remove and eat.

****Note*** if using more than one goose breast, add more spices but be careful with the Tender Quick- Do not double the Tender Quick just add a little more.

Slice thin at bias.
Tastes like corned beef.

If making more than 1 goose ..... still use 2 tbs of pickling spice in cooking water and dash of apple cider vinegar, but you can multiply recipe by number of geese ... except that you use no more than 2 cups of TenderQuick.

Cook for 3 1/2 hours, or until you can put a fork in the meat, twist it and the meat flakes. I will often cook the goose, particularly if they are older birds, as long as 5 hours. The key is to cook them until they are tender enough to flake when you turn a fork in the meat.

Also, when cooking 4 or 5 geese, I usually use 2 cups of white sugar and 1 cup of brown sugar. It makes the meat a little sweeter, which I an most people I've cooked it for, seem to prefer.
tripleb
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Love it tripleb. I will definitely try that out. Thanks.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby saw dust » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:35 pm

The snows around here have a slight fishy taste. thay spend alot of time on the river. dice it up low cook in a crock pot about 4 hr than put in home made newengland clam chowder. Also pot pies. Crock pot all day bith barb- Q sauce,pulled goose sandwich.
saw dust
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Gunny's Pulled Goose

Buy 2 packets of Mccormick Au Jus gravy mix, 2 cans of mushrooms, 1 large onion, banana peppers (pre-sliced) in a jar, 4 snow goose breasts (or 2 canada breasts) and your favorite Dijon mustard. Make the gravy, then mix the gravy and mustard into a crockpot. Add the goose meat and let cook 5 hrs on low, occasionaly pulling the meat apart with forks . Then add as many peppers as you would like (I use about 1/2 of the jar with 1/2 of the juice.if you dont like peppers, don't add them) and add the mushrooms and onion (chopped). Cook another 2 hrs. Enjoy with your favorite moonshine and or barley pop. :beer:

We prefer to eat this on hogie buns, but it can also be put over rice. :thumbsup:

Gunny
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby elfros » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:53 am

as a matter of fact o am making jumbalaya right now ! :thumbsup:
i use all the goose i shoot fix most of it on the grill or slice thin and fry
love it and all who share usually go back for 2nds :biggrin:
elfros
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:01 am

I mix it 50/50 with pork, and make summer sausage out of it. It gets eaten pretty quick then. Everyone loves it!
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Goose and Noodles MMM MMM MMM, cook in a slow cooker over night ( 10-12 hrs ) shred meat, but in pan bring to boil and add noodle, serve over mashed taters and corn :biggrin: ............... damn, Now im hungry :biggrin:
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby Gabe1Davis » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:16 am

jerky it! its easy and everyone wants jerky so its nothing to get rid of it.
professional redneck.
Gabe1Davis
hunter

Postby loner » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:43 am

just finished making breakfast sausage, 1/2 ground goose + 1/2 ground pork + cabelas breakfast sausage patty mix.
easiest thing i've ever done!
loner
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:19 pm

Quarter of the way through. Cheddar and jalapeno turned out real good!
Attachments
IMAG0258-1.jpg
IMAG0257-1.jpg
muskyduck
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:53 pm

Oh, man, goose is my favorite meat. The breasts I fillet and cut steaks put in ziplocks, eat all year, or make jerky. The wings and legs go into gumbo. Goose + Andouille sausage = Gandouille Gumbo. Cook slow about 3 hr and the meat slides off the bones. On the steaks, with the snows or Canadas, I rub with "Montreal Steak" rub and grill or pan fry in bacon drippins.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Go to the recipe section! All kinds of great ideas. I just saw the last DU with a roasted garlic goose fillet that looks amazing! Slice the breast into a butterfly, spread cream cheese and roasted garlic , wrap it up with bakers string and grill it! I also love the recipe I came up with that I call diablo goose. It is spicy and has a caribean flavor. I put it on the forum last year I think. Last but not least, goose jerky!!!!!!!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum