Using decoys to hide blinds

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Using decoys to hide blinds

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:24 am

Just wondering how you guys do it. I like to keep my blocks spread out, so I'm hesitant to use more than one decoy while trying to hid my blind. They're all relaxed and spread out, and then around me and my guys, we have a little clump...
Am I thinking to much?
Thanks!
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Re: Using decoys to hide blinds

Postby imboray » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:01 am

I dont think so. We do the same thing. I guess it all depends on how many dekes you have. we usually run about 6 doz fullbodies adn 2 doz shells. We have put 5 or 6 dekes around each blind (we usually hunt 2 or 3 guys) and have even placed a shell on our legs to hide us. it also depends what kind of field you are hunting in. if its pretty tall stalks with lots of stuff laying on the ground its easier to hide. If its chisel plowed & there is little to cover up with you have to do what you can...my .02
imboray
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:15 am

I only "hide the blinds" if we are setting enough decoys out to hide the blinds plus make similar clusters of tighter decoy spacing in other parts of the spread.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:07 pm

We put full bodies all round the layouts. It may look a little clumped up but if you slowly ease out to spread them out then it doesn't look bad. I also tend to put my best, fully flocked decoys around the blinds, and then all the standard Bigfoots everywhere else.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:59 am

I tried this on the last day I hunted this year. Birds were tough to finish and thought they might have been weary of the blinds. When I'm hunting the river, I have made 3'-4' fiberglass L stakes for my pro grades so I can put them out in 2' of water. So this is what I came up with and thought it couldn't hurt....

It was just me and my buddy and we had our layout blinds next to each other, but put a decoys around the blind and one right in between the blinds down by our hip so the door flaps could open. We had it suspended on one of the 3' stakes 12" higher then all the other decoys. It did two things.... 1. Cast a natural shadow that covered the unnatural shadows our blinds were causing. 2. Since it was level and not below the top of the blind, it made them look like it was contour, rather then a clump.

Now, I only tried this once but it did work and did not cause any more problems then we were already having. I am looking forward to trying this more next year and see if it truly does make a difference.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:25 am

Here's something that I have noticed in my last hunt. We usually put our blinds in the spread. And try and conceal them best we can with decoys like I stated above. Well the other day the birds were flaring and wouldn't decoy. As always we like to change things up and try and figure out what's wrong. So we pulled the layouts about 10-15 yards back from the decoy spread. After that they started decoying and we shot our limit.
Now here's why I think this works. When your In the decoys, your more likley to be spotted by incoming geese because that's where they are looking. However when your pulled back a few yards they aren't focused on the blinds, but the decoys. Just my 2 cents.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum