Need help shooting dream bird.

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Need help shooting dream bird.

Postby ARduckboy24 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Hey guys I was wondering if you could Call snow geese or specklebellys in with a mallard call. My dad is taking me to hunt public land in central Arkansas to try and get me a speck or get lucky and shoot a banded goose. We don't have layout blinds and I had a craphead(quack head) snow goose call but the entire set of guts just fell out only the reeds and I never even took it apart. We have a four wheeler and are probably going to carry in a few decoys but we can't drive the fourwheelr to the exact spot so we will have to carry them part way. Would it be a good idea to mix in some mallards and pintails because my dads a puddle duck hunter at heart and I wanna prove to him you can shoot ducks in a dry field in central Arkansas. All the decoys are snow goose shells. Any help would be great. Plus any other suggestions would be awesome to. Another I asked about the duck decoys is because I don't know if it would seem more natural are not. Plus is it a good idea to set mojos out. Even if it's off to the side a little ways.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Re: Need help shooting dream bird.

Postby Gabe1Davis » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:48 pm

doubt it very much. leave the call in your pocket and you might get lucky.
professional redneck.
Gabe1Davis
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Never hunted snows, but have heard that they dont get along with anything but there own kind, not even ducks, BUT..... Thats just what I have been told. We dont see many of them in Northern Indiana, though I have seen some, but never got close enough for a shot.
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Thank you for the help I've seen specks and snow in groups together that are absolutley giant.
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Plus ducks off to the side of the group and some in the group.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Use your mouth, I've called in a lot of snows and specks with my mouth. There has been several times I forgot my calls or thought I wouldn't see any geese and called em in no problems by making the sounds they make. I've even called in a flock of honkers like that one time.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks I'll try it out.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:45 pm

You will not call snows with a duck call. Not going to happen.
I would suggest sitting there and praying.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Will do.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Here in Colorado we have Snows mixed in with Canadians. Seen it with my own eyes. crap, even a couple weeks ago we were shooting Canada's all day. One flock of about twenty flew over, and had two Snows mixed in. We all shot at the Snows.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:48 pm

Well i went out. Few day ago and seen all 3 kinds in a group and we don't have very many Canada's.. My dad got me a gumbo speck call for Christmas and I already called 2 flocks really close but no decoys so we didn't get a good shot.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby Kraftyguy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:32 pm

The reason you see snows and specks mixed together with canadians is because they're stragglers. Hardly ever will you see true numbers of snows or specks mixed with any other kinds of birds. The reason you see ducks with snows is because the snows only go to fields they know have the most food. Not to discourage you but the chances you calling a group of snows in to a spread without umpteen dozen snow dekes is practically impossible. If thats truely your dream bird your better off going with a guide for a day and have them tornado down on you rather than spend the money on a few dozen decoys and trying it yourself.
Hot barrels, a happy dog, and a great group of friends.
Kraftyguy
hunter

Postby steveclapton » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Bird in dream will bring the appearance of a special person in life. White birds represent peace, especially a white dove. This symbolic meaning is part of our conscious mind too.

http://www.welovephuket-thailand.com/th ... d-massage/
steveclapton
Newb

Postby goosehappy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:58 pm

In California, I have killed snows over snow goose floaters, using 2-6 dekes, and called by mouth. I've used big spreads, too,which work better, but I've seen stragglers killed by duck hunters with no calling and no snow dekes out, too. Just have to be lucky.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum