Breaking Ice

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Breaking Ice

Postby dklaus1201 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:05 pm

This last week of cold weather has pretty much everywhere around here locked up right now except lakes and hunting those are not an option for me. I am looking for some creative ways that you all go about breaking ice out and making a hole. We have a private pond that we hunt. No access to generator/ice eater to keep the hole open, probably just going to break it up after work for a couple days in a row then hunt the weekend.
dklaus1201
hunter

Re: Breaking Ice

Postby bulletman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Chain saw, cut it into chunks and push it under the other ice

Axe to do the same thing

Poles to push it with help

Metal leaf rake to clear the smaller pieces
bulletman
hunter

Postby LanceM » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Canoe, kayak, boat? If the ice isn't too thick you can outline your hole in one of those, then push the sheet under the rest of the ice. If its too thick for that, I like the chainsaw/ rake idea. I might add a fishing net, throw net, or seine works good for clearing the scraps too. Dont forget to rake in the ice that pops up on top when you break. I've killed ducks without doing that part, but I sure believe it helps when the remaining ice doesnt look like a box of glitter from ice shards. I'll never pay the money for an ice eater, but a buddy of mine just bought one and man are they sweet! Good luck. Any open water is better than none. Just do what you can and hunker down!
LanceM
hunter

Postby bulletman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:13 pm

A buddy gave me a water pump with 3" hoses, it's got a blown motor, I just don't have another motor on it and running yet :sad: :sad: :sad:
bulletman
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum