Duck Hunting Forum banner

What happened???

897 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Gabe1Davis 
#1 ·
Ok short story.

Scouted a field yesterday, only drove by it around 4pm, saw a few flocks of geese hitting the upper part of the field. So went out there this afternoon and setup where they were going yesterday, only to have group after group after group go down 500 yards to the left of us. After a hundred or so would land down there we would run em off (had to do it twice) after we ran them off the second time we were talking about moving down there, but about that time we had a group of 5 come right in so we stayed there for the last 45 mins. Bad idea we watched a few hundred more pour into the bottom side of the field!

The only thing i can figure is yesterday there was 5-10mph wind and today it was 20-25 and the other side of the field is more out of the wind.

But one thing is for sure tomorrow morning we will be setup on the lower end of the field, but with the wind dying down to 5 mph we mite get screwed again!

#2 ·
vapor300 said:
The only thing i can figure is yesterday there was 5-10mph wind and today it was 20-25 and the other side of the field is more out of the wind.

!
bingo. use your flag if they are lit to another part of the field, even if they are a little close for flagging comfort. it will get their attention to your spread. also, were they dumping right into the field or did they circle alot to get in? if its a windy day they will be more likely to fly low and dump in, if there is light wind they will come from higher up and probably circle a few times before they come down. I have had best luck on windy days setting up on the side of the field that is closest to the roost, or an are of the field that is more protected from the wind.

no worries man you will get em! geese are stupid anyway....right? haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.