Best way to hide layout in cut bean field?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Best way to hide layout in cut bean field?

Postby Jangle » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:05 pm

How do you guys hide your layout blinds in a cut bean field? Since there is very little scrap left bhind I'm just wandering what the best way is to hide? Thanks alot!
Jangle
hunter

Re: Best way to hide layout in cut bean field?

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:06 am

Dig your blinds in real deep and rake up as much as u can and pack em full
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:57 pm

I have only hunted a bean field once but what we did was dig down deep so the top of the blind was flush with the ground level. Then we took hand fulls of what was left of the beans and used rubber bands to hold clumps together and put in the stubble straps. It was a huge pain and took awhile but it worked. In hind sight if I were going to hunt the beans again I would buy one of those Avery killerweed golden harvest ghillie suits. It's a pain to dig in, let alone camo with beans so having the ghillie suit would probably free up about an hour of brushing in. I'm actually thinking of picking up the All-Terrain version. A guy we hunt with has one and it looks really good everywhere we have went. In a corn field he doesn't even have to add any corn stalks if he doesn't want to but he usually sticks a few in here and there just in case. If you decide to go the Killerweed route I HIGHLY recommend you buy the actually suit and not the brushing in kit. My buddy originally bought the kit and its just a big knotted mess of strands. It also took him 2 layout blind kits to cover his blind, he put in about 9 hours on it, and close to 300 zip ties.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:40 pm

Skip the layout blind alltogether. Dig a hole and place a insulated mat in it. the hole is smaller to dig than trying to burry a layout blind. then rake a big pile of bean stubble and place it next to your hole. Use your blind bag as a pillow. Get in the hole and cover up with an old Army blanket. then drag the stubble pile all over your blanket. Make sure you were a face mask and keep your hat low! Do not move your head at all! Follow the birds with just your eyes. You can also use camo burlap to the same effect. Just keep your gun and arms laid out on top... Bean fields are hard to hunt, but the birds love them because they have food and can see everything since there is nowhere to hide! Good luck..

PS- Trust me on this advise... I learned the hard way about digging in for a bean field and layouts just make the work twice as hard!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby noweil » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:18 pm

What do you guys do with all the dirt you dig out to dig in your blind? I can not believe most farmers would let you dig up their fields.

Could you mud the heck out of you blind with soil from the bean field and stick bean stubble on the mud? I usually set my layout blind off to the side of my decoys about 20-25 yards from the landing area in short cover.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:41 pm

I just take the dirt and slope it from the edge of the hole. That way you only have to dig down about a foot or so. Then get a rake and go at least a hundred yards away and start raking as much stubble as possible. Then place the stubble all around your hole to cover the dirt and blend it in. Lay in your hole, cover with a blanket and drag the stubble over you.... When I finish hunting, I fill the hole with stubble for the next time. That way geese don't see the hole when I am not hunting. At the end of the season, I go back and fill all my hole and spread out the stubble... My farmers won't let me dig in the winter wheat, but they don't mind about digging in the bean/corn stubble as long as I fill the hole back in. They would rather I was killing geese than letting the geese eat all their wheat!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:48 am

You can mud and stubble 1 or 2 blinds and get away with it. Any more and you're looking at a lot more work. We typically dig 6" down, mud, stubble, and use terrain features when possible. Some days it doesn't even matter though. On of my favorite hunts was an 8 blind bean field hunt, we ran 12 guys through, limited, shot 5 snows, and had birds landing all over the decoys.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Set up on the edge and place decoys 20 yards out. You'll be surprised at how they are not scared to land close to the woods.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby VincentCorrea » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:22 am

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Set up on the edge and place decoys 20 yards out. You'll be surprised at how they are not scared to land close to the woods.

That's how my brother and I do it, throw the blinds right against a hedgerow. We hunt a WMA that get's leased to a farmer where he has to leave up a certain amount of beans, sometimes it works out perfect for us to hide in them and still have the sun, and on the right day, wind in our favor.
"I killed a huge goose once".
VincentCorrea
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum