Need a few ideas

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Need a few ideas

Postby bubbasblazer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:37 pm

I hunt a goose blind very close to a refuge that sits in a ditch with a field in front and behind us. There is more frontage behind the blind as opposed to the front but still alot of room facin out the front. The birds today were coming from the refuge crossing behind the blind a ways off. The nastier the weather the better the blind, However they frequently use the surrounding fields ALOT whether beans or corn it just doesnt appeal to them like the adjacent fields. Once real birds went down in the field 1/4 mile away it was tough to pull them in. Would I be better off to sit in the ditch with the dekes Behind the blind or just pile more out in front of the blind . Any ideas
bubbasblazer
hunter

Re: Need a few ideas

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:29 am

Refuge birds get smart pretty quick to permanent blinds. Run the decoys where they are most visible, flag, call, break some birds off their flightline and hope for the best.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Re: Need a few ideas

Postby Blackfoot down » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:36 pm

bubbasblazer,
Can you hunt the fields where the geese are actually landing? If you can, why not drag a layout to the X and hunt them there instead of sticking it out in a blind that they know? As long as you stubble in good and use the contours of the field to hide, or dig in (preferred), you could have in your face geese! If your layout sticks out like a sore thumb, the geese will land on your pit blind. Geese are smart @$$es that way!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum