Need Advice

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Need Advice

Postby Deuce22 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Fairly new to goose hunting, and going solo right now. I have a few questions surrounding weather and movement. I hunted Monday afternoon and saw 8-10 flocks and even got a few to work the decoys without a shot. It was 25 degrees, cloudy and 15-20MPH NW winds. I got time this morning to go out at 15 degrees, blue bird skies, and very little wind out of the east and saw nothing, not even a honk in the same spot. Did this big cold front push everything out? Any tips on playing the weather? I'm aiming to go out again Friday morning and the forecast calls for light snow, high of 40. Any input on why I see a bunch and then none? Thanks for the help.
Deuce22
hunter

Re: Need Advice

Postby goosehappy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:52 pm

If anybody could answer your question accurately, they'd be the God of hunting. I believe geese change their habits frequently as a survival mechanism. They are smart, and sometimes it doesn't follow logic of weather or wind. They still amaze me, showing up when you least expect, or not showing when and where they should. If your spot had geese, they'll probably be back-sometime.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby sloth » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 am

the only thing that i will say is that i have noticed that they will stay on their roost longer if there is a sudden temp drop. you have stated mornings in all your hunts... maybe you are hunting too early. i have had days where the temp has dropped alot over the past few days and the geese didnt fly tell almost noon. just my 2 cents
DU Member
YAT-YAS
USMC '04-'12
sloth
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:52 am

I agree with sloth. Weather could be it. Are you hunting field or over water?

Not sure how much time and effort you are putting into scouting but if you can do it every day, do it. I had a similar thing this year with sunshine and overcast. Early in the season, if it was overcast they would be on this field a half hour after shooting. If it were sunny, they wouldn't show up until 11am. You could set your watch by it.

Similar thing late season, but they would go to different fields. Time stayed constant, but on sunny days they would be at one filed, overcast they would hit a group of fields 2 miles north. Dam thingas are such a headache! :hammer:
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Deuce22 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm hunting fields, unfortunately I don't have too much time to scout and am running traffic. I'll be out tomorrow morning so we'll see of they're flying. We're supposed to get some snow tonight into morning but it's supposed to warm up a bit tomorrow, hopefully they'll move a bit before I have to be a work.
Deuce22
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:56 pm

One thing I noticed last month in my area when it was 25 degrees as a high for 3 straight weeks....
The geese waited untill it was 20 degrees to start flying. I clocked it a couple times and admit started warming up and when it was nearing 20 degrees we started seeing more and more flocks.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum