decoy setup

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

decoy setup

Postby timmer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:32 pm

what kind of decoy setup do you use do you lay on the outside of them or right in them. i know that it may depend on the feild i always have the problem of calling and calling and have the geese land 100 yards away in the same feild. how do i fix this? im just looking for a little help only been feild goose hunting for 1 year.
timmer
hunter

Re: decoy setup

Postby ohioboy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:07 pm

I set up away from the decoys. They seem to learn around here to land and walk or swim in. Play the wind and set up downwind.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby bobalong » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:50 pm

We dont get to hung up on the letter thing but run sort of run a U or X setup.We setup near the end with the U or on the cross in the middle of the X.
bobalong
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 pm

When huntig from layouts, 99% of the time we pull them back 10-15 yards, sometimes even more from the spread. The geeses eyes are focused on the decoys and don't spot the layouts as easy. As for when they land 100+ yards out, depending on the situation you may want to flag a little as there starting to land. They may change there minds and decide to join the spread. Same with calling. Giving A few fast clucks will usually get there attention. I've had about 50 geese land 200 yards from my spread. At first I thought we should go kick them up but it actually seemed to help that day. The geese would be drawn in from along ways away and about 50% of the birds would decide to join my spread rather than the real geese. :thumbsup:
Last edited by shootable Goose on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Here's some pictures of a common late season spread that I use. Imagine putting these pictures side by side and you'll get the idea.
A few tips:
1. Spread the decoys out from each other. By now the geese have seen it all. The crowded "black ball" of decoys, which is what a lot of guys spreads look like from a ways away, is a huge turnoff
2. Serperate them into 2 or 3 different groups. Don't have one huge flock. I use about 1/3 of my decoys in one group, and so on with the other two thirds. The reason for this is because late season birds don't like to fly over geese when approaching to land. The "channels" in between the groups of decoys makes gives them space to fly.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359520655.215298.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359520675.009443.jpg
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 am

Spread em out for sure in the late season. Don't be affraid of covering a large area with what looks like individual geese or small family groups. You might build the U or X and set blinds off the side and hunt a cross wind with the birds finishing across your face instead of directly in front of you. This works well especially if there is no cover and you don't brush in your blind at all, helps keep some eyes off you as they will tend to focus on the decoys in front of em. The main thing this time of year is being hid really well and making your spread look real. You might want to give your deeks a good bath and clean off any mud and touch up any missing paint. The birds have seen it all by time of year and are looking for close to imperfections. It's hard to get away with what mighta worked early in the season now.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby ksbandcollector » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Try put spread close as possible to where geese were in field when you scouted.
ksbandcollector
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:17 pm

I think its the calling Ive had geese do this but not very often. Also are u running full bodies or all shells. I think full bodues really help. Their obviousally not getting super spooked by you or they wouldnt land in the field. Im guessing their just seeing something that looks weird. Id practice your calling and invest in full bodies and this wont happen much.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum