Canadian goose with a white neck?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Canadian goose with a white neck?

Postby Skysweeper007 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:05 am

One of the rivers I hunt on is runs out to a highly populated beach wich makes for some pretty easy harvesting up river with that said this September on opening day i jumped out of the canoe and was walking right at these geese and before i shot i noticed the weird coloring on the this ones neck and busted out my iPhone before i shot. Does anyone know anything about the coloring,is it a genetic mutation or a hybrid goose????
Attachments
gooseywhiteneck.jpg
Skysweeper007
hunter

Re: Canadian goose with a white neck?

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:07 pm

How do you knowit was Canadian? Did you check its passport? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Seriously, they're called canada geese. My guess is that this is not a hybrid. While it may be possible, you just don't see many hybrid canadas. On the other hand, I've seen quite a few canadas with white on the head and neck. It's probably some sort of a mutation, though this one has a lot more white than any I've ever seen. Special bird, to be sure.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Skysweeper007 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:29 pm

"you say tomato i say tomato" haha. So you saying i Probably should have got it stuffed instead of throwing it on the grill. :-/

the other one actually had a band on it it was tagged in aroostook county so decent chance they were "Canadian"
Skysweeper007
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:16 am

Inbred!!
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Bigredman5223 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:47 am

A buddy if mine saw and hunted for a solid white bodied canada with a black neck and head several days and had it fly over 1 day but out of range. He sent me a pic of it but I can't load it on here. When I went up we looked and looked for that bird and never found him again.

Finally figured out a way to get the pic to upload. So here you go.
Attachments
image.jpg
2013-14 SEASON HURRY UP AND GET HERE!!!

GIG' EM AGGIES
Bigredman5223
hunter

Postby Migr8tr » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:47 am

We shoot a few odd ones in west Texas every year .
Migr8tr
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:53 pm

We have gotten a few that are weird like that too. almost hybrid like. This one had the feet and beak of a snow.....

"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:28 pm

We killed one two years ago with almost a solid white neck with a couple black dots here and there. There's a few threads about it buried somewhere. Ill post a pic later.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum