What payload #1 steel for Big geese?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

What payload #1 steel for Big geese?

Postby kenner » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:32 am

Hi All,
I've read plenty of posts 'bout shooting big Canada geese with everything from, mostly #2's to BB's and some BBB's. And I've read about payloads of 7/8's oz to 1-1/4, in 3", 12ga shells.

I've pretty much settled in on #1's for the first two shots, pass shooting ~ 40-50yds and under, with a third shot of BB's for the going away shot. (We also have many Cacklers here, but whatever will bring down a big goose, will take out a Cackler)

Some are advocating small payloads of faster and heavier pellets, I'm guessing for body shots. Some are advocating denser patterns of smaller pellets, for head/neck/front of goose hits. Some say that more pellets are better than a couple hundred fps.

So, I've taken this all in and settled on the #1 steel, but would like to get some recommendations on payload and reasoning.

Thanks All!.... Ken
kenner
hunter

Re: What payload #1 steel for Big geese?

Postby cuppedandkilled » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:34 pm

I'm hung up on 1 3/8oz 1's. Lots of pellets but not the fastest.
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Postby kenner » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:54 pm

So, are you getting lots of head-neck hits, or do you get any body penetration on big geese?.. And to what distances?

Thanks!
kenner
hunter

Postby noweil » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:42 pm

I shoot #1 steel when we are shooting big geese and mallards together. I like 3" 1 1/4 ounce loads at 1400 fps. However I am shooting birds at half the distance you are talking about. I shoot an improved cylinder choke most the time. I prefer #2 steel for big ducks and feel I have more dead ducks with #2. The 1's knock them down no problem just seem like there are a few more cripples. For just geese I prefer BB's but #1's kill geese fine. I am usually shooting birds in the decoys at much closer distances than you are talking about shooting.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby cuppedandkilled » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:01 pm

kenner wrote:So, are you getting lots of head-neck hits, or do you get any body penetration on big geese?.. And to what distances?

Thanks!

I prefer head/neck hits but they do not always happen. I've dug pellets out from the offside from the entry wounds, so I'd think penetration isn't an issue. I'd say 20-30 yards average, 50; yards at the most. I'm shooting a Patternmaster well.
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum